1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Blade on a 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have a 94 Ford F150, its a heavy half ton and I was wondering if I were to install 2wd 3/4ton coil springs in the front and 3/4ton leaf springs in the rear will it handle the load of a V-Blade. Thanks in advance.
  2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

1/2 tons aren't made heavy enough to handle a v plow
  3. 2004Z71CC

2004Z71CC Member

Boss makes a 7 1/2' v-plow designed for 1/2 ton trucks. Your F150 with air bags in the front will handle it no problem. I ran a 7 1/2' diamond on a 94' F150 with air bags for 3 years and no problems.
  4. DJC

DJC Senior Member

You should check with your insurance Co also. Sounds like to much of a plow for 150 to me!!!!
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We've had an 8'2" Boss on our '96 Dodge 1500 since new. Great driveway\small area truck. No excess amount of repairs on the front end, either. Put some weight in it and it will push a ton of snow.

If you are not over your FAWR, you have nothing to worry about--legally or insurance company wise. The only time your insurance co. is going to give a rat's rear end about what you are doing is if you are breaking the law, i.e. exceeding manufacter's weight ratings.

Yes, if you can do it legally, install the heavier springs and make sure you use proper ballast.
  6. procut

procut Senior Member

I know a guy who has an '89 Bronco with a 8'2" Boss Vee on it. He has air bags on it and said it handles it fine.
  7. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I went through the same thing you did. I put the springs out of an F-350 2wd on my 95 F-150 ext. cab 4X4. It lifted the front end a little bit, but as soon as you lifted the plow, it would sag, sag, sag even with a 7.5' Sno-Way(the lightest plow out there for my truck at the time, 2 winters ago) ....the tires were even towed in serverely. I ended buying air-lift air bags. They go inside the coils of your truck, and it will not sag more then an inch. However, even with the air bags, judging from my experience I do not think it would of held a V-plow as I had originally planned. My suggestion to you is to find a 7 1/2 ft light duty plow... it will save you a lot of grief, especially on that truck. TRUST ME :drinkup:
  8. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

You got to remember, A bronco has a much lighter front end then an extended-cab truck.... and a Dodge has a solid front axle... Just thought you should know.... Someone else told me the same thing I'm tellin you, and they were right. V-Plows are rough for even 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks, but then again, if your not doing any heavy plowing, its not so bad. But your still gonna end up having more problems then its worth to keep the truck sitting high with that plow up.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  9. Brian Young

Thanks mylawn03, Iv'e been plowing commercial for 3 years with my 1/2ton. Its a heavy half ton and I have the bags and a commercial Myers set up with wings. So far so good! I don't beat my equipment what so ever! thats what front end loaders are for.lol :waving:
  10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the half ton with 8600 gvw ?
  11. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Whatever works for ya man. Happy Plowing....well not yet..but close! :drinkup:
  12. sierra02

sierra02 Junior Member

I have a 2002 gmc half ton with the 7'6" boss v and have not had any problems soo far. I try just not to carry the plow too far.
  13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Solution: Get at minimum a 3/4 ton truck and the plow problem will go away on it's own.
  14. Brian Young

I know I'm sick of mowing and can't wait for plowing to start up!
  15. Brian Young

Ya it would be nice but with a little one on the way and just moving into our new home I don't think I'll be getting one any time soon.
  16. Brian Young

Ummmmmmmmmmmm got me. Its has the heavier front end and beefy rear leafs but not quite a 3/4ton.
  17. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You could do it if you put new springs in it, it might be harder on your truck as compared to a 3/4 or 1 ton but whatever lets you push snow...

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

just do it it eill work fine. :waving: