1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v-blade idea

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lumps, Sep 23, 2005.

1. lumps

lumps Senior Member

so, i know that everyone complains about that little path that v-blades can leave down the center, especially if they don't have a center shoe or whatnot. so, i was thinking, and what if you bolted in a heavy piece of rubber (eg. tire tread, snow deflector) behind the cutting edges, and had it go across that center section. it would be able to bend as the wings changed angles, but would hold most of the snow. has anyone tried this? does anyone think it would/wouldn't work?

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

i have several western vee's all right here is the poop when they first came out they used tough rubber with 1/4 inch steel plates. then they went to the current set up the newer set is approx $80.00 to replace and you sometime lose the rubber piece when its real cold out. ok here is what i did go to a rubber or a conveyor place and buy conveyor belt with nylon in it .you need a piece 6" high by 2 ft long , cut it to size in the vee position.it is tough as nails and last as long as the cutting edge.best part you can do it for under $20.00
  3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

My old Western V uni had the rubber strip for the center wiper. It worked awsome.
  4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

This was the exact question that I was asking. I have some leftover material from my snow deflector instals. I'll use that and see how it does.
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it would work to me

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i guse it would work you wont know unless you try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :waving:

it will work as long as the rubber piece has some kind of fiber material in it .Ive tried just using plain rubber and it only held up for a few plows. i have been using the conveyor belt stuff for years and it holds up.don't forget to place a piece of flat steel behind the rubber or you can use very large steel washers. i even make my own cutting edges for my western vees. i know what i am talking about. good luck.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It will work until it catches something and rips off. I have yet to find anything that really does a good job that lasts the lifetime of the scraper edge.

to keep the rubber from being ripped off as i said before you need to use some scrap steel 1/4 " thick by 4 or 5 " long ,drill the 2 holes in it and it wears down with the rubber and the cutting edge .use that as a small backing plate.it works great ,thats the way the first western vee's where made. it works