1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v-blade collapsing

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MrDeez, Jan 28, 2009.

1. MrDeez

MrDeez Junior Member
    from Midwest

V-blade collapsing. Underhood unit, not sure where begin search for valve sticking. Help to locate valves or what may be the problem. When plowing, the right wing will fold back to truck. Plow is on a 1995 2500 chevy,guessing plow is same age. Any ideas where to begin, first boss and kinda lost.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How much load does it require to push the wing back? Just a little? If so it's likely a wing control valve issue (dirt/contamination etc).

If it takes a fair amount then its more likely a weak/broken wing relief valve.

3. MrDeez

MrDeez Junior Member
    from Midwest

Right wing just falls back... I am not familar with Boss underhood...Don't know where to look for valve adjustment

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The valve assembly with the green wire will be your right wing retract valve. Pull it out of the manifold and check it for debris/contamination as well as free movement by pushing in on the the spool at the bottom. May just be partially stuck open.

5. MrDeez

MrDeez Junior Member
    from Midwest

B&B, I removed the valve with the green wire attached. I cleaned the valve and checked for free movement of the "plunger"...it moved just fine. I put the valve back, got n the truck and the blade fell just as it did before. i have had similar problems with my western v plows. With those one time it was a bad cylinder and another was a check and poppet problems. With the Boss, I don't know where to begin. i also checked the cylinder for a loose nut, not loose. The connection hose on that side has a loose joint above the screw in to cylinder, but no fluid loss. Any ideas?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you want to rule out the wing cylinder as a possible suspect, run the wing out and immediately unplug the quick disconnect to that wing. If it them holds you know it's a valve body issue and not a cylinder issue. Which is what I suspect you'll find.

O-rings on the valve you pulled look 100%?

Another easy test is to swap first the wing valves side to side, and if the same wing still leaks back, then swap the wing relief valves side to side. That will positively identify the defective component. The wing reliefs are in the valve body right beside each of the wing valves...there's one per wing.

7. MrDeez

MrDeez Junior Member
    from Midwest

B@b

I pulled the 3 wing relief valves, the center one had a piece of rolled up metal in it.The metal looked like planed wood, curled and rolled up. I pryed it out of the valve and cleaned it, put it back in and WaLa... it works. Have you ever seen such a thing? What could roll that metal up? Thanks again!

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The metal is from the bore of the wing cylinder. Somewhere along the line the respective wing got hit hard, peeled a sliver off the bore and pushed into the relief (where it got trapped) as the fluid was escaping from the hydro pressure. Happens once in a while on the old Boss's. Should be fine now..

9. MrDeez

MrDeez Junior Member
    from Midwest

Thanks Again B & B !!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Happy to help Mr. Deez. Good luck with your plowing endeavors. :salute: