1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

" V Blade Adjustments"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Do you adjust your cutting edge on your V Blade as It wears?

My Point Here Is...The V has 2 wings...with the pin In the center of the 2 wings...There Is some play In that pin...and as the cutting edge wares It will not scrape very well on that outside edge.
    Therefore that cutting edge should be readjusted as time goes by...so the outside of the wing will not lift as much...and therefore scrape clean

What do you think of my theory...or can you add to It

Daner

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What blade is this on, I don't actually have any play in my pins but we are anal with grease.

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Not much play in our pins but, yes wings and edges wear down different, just like a straight blade, does when you plow angled more to one side then the other. I know fisher extreme suggest releveling the blade, to adjust for un even wear. We never did on our first 2 piece cutting edge, it worn down fine and never was missing. We put the newer 4 piece cuting edge, and so far the wear is even and not going to need adjusting, but not been on long enough to truely say.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i believe you are suppost to adjust how the plow sits in relation to the vehical, there might be more than 1 mounting hole.. and your plow frame may not sit 100% level...

this needs to be done because every person will plow differently using a vee. if you use it in the "vee mode" alot, you may need to pitch it up or down more depending on how its wearing

5. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

i had the same problem...i had a lot of cutting edge left also. instead of buying a new cutting edge i just torched my level....my v was leaving gaps in the middle cause that's where it was worn down.

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Sounds like you'r plow mount hight is incorrect If its wearing uneven.

7. Daner

This Is On a Western MPV

The pin That holds the 2 wings together will have some clearance between the pin and the bushings.

Lets say that the pin has a 15/1000 Clearance...now with that clearance on the overall length of 1 wing the up and down play on the very far end of the wing could be aprox1/4"..maybe a bit less

If you drop your blade down flat on the floor, and pry 1 end of the wing up It will raise a bit while the opposite wing Is sitting flat on the floor...If that pin Is worn It will lift more

My point Is the wings on a V blade are 2 entirely different structures joined by a pin...They are not acting as a single structure like a straight blade

As The cutting edges ware away on the far outside, the little amount of play In the center pin Is now hanging to the limit of play...with that event happening all the play Is In the upward direction.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

:nod::nod::nod: correct

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Incorrect, if your running in scoop all most all the time or your blade is angled all the time, your lead edges will wear down first. How many V's do you own Elite?

10. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Ummmmmmmmmmm......................................................nevermind :D

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

i own ZERO, however i did work for a hospital years back that had two of them

if your lead edges are wearing down more, because you use it in scoop mode alot , what i was told from a western dealer was to adjust the plow frame height

in fact, i believe i was told to lower it, to correct for that - not 100% sure if its up or down . down makes more sence to me

on a uni-mount, most frames could be adjusted at least 2 inched. thats kinda alot

on a ultra- there are adjustment holes on the plow it self. The Aframe may not sit perfectly level after adjustment, but that is what i was told the correct fix is

12. toby4492

Uneven edge wear is a very common issue with all v-plows. As Daner mentions you have 2 individual wings that you are tying to make act as one. As the edges wear the pitch of the tower changes at the same time which will accentuate the uneven wear problem especially when running in scoop or v positions often.

This is one of the reasons we designed our MegaBlade V-Wing with an adjustment bolt which allows you to keep the tower in the vertical position as the edges wear. This keeps both wings maintaining even ground contact and allows for even wear and better cleaning than other v-plows on the market.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree you will have less wear if you move your mount down but no matter what you do your leading edges will were quicker. You have to set your blade up to be level in all positions don't you? Even on a straight blade your leading edges will wear quicker don't they? Unless you do alot of straight blading.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

But what do you know? I have to agree the ease of adjusting the tip on a SW would be a good thing to have.:drinkup:

15. toby4492

Well I learned this today.

:D..................:D............................:D..............................................:D

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I hope I didn't get you too excited.:D

17. Daner

Wings

I have the truck In the shop here now...Still Grinnen here...about the grease:D
    JD you walked right Into that One ,LOL:jester:...don't say the grease gun went missing:)

Anyway I moved the edge tips down just a tad...so they will have more ground contact.

Sno-Way was on the ball when they added that wing adjustment to there new V Plow
    If you want good cleaning right across the blade...those tips have to be down to the pavement

So now that I have moved the edge tip down...when the tip wants to ride up on a hard packed section It will have to take the whole structure with It

Daner

18. Iowalawn

Iowalawn Member
    from Iowa

ANY pics of the adjustment pionts on a UNIMOUNT MVP? Thanks