1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-6

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BigLebowski, Nov 19, 2008.

1. BigLebowski

BigLebowski Junior Member

What do you guys think about plowing with a 1500? Na just kidding!

But seriously though, I think the 4.3L is a pretty capable engine but what do you guys think? Would you consider it for 20 drives or less about 20 times for the season?

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

no problem at all, we rock a v-6, as long as your not stupid it works awsome, 8' blade no problem, plus you can get awsome fuel ecomomy plowing (8 hours on a 1/4 tank). I know alot of guys are gonna come on an knock the sixers but there the exact same block as a v-8 with just the back 2 cylinders cut off, plus it only makes like 20-30 pounds of torque less then the 4.8.....

3. jdo150

jdo150 Member

That is a big v6 and my buddy has one and I was impressed with the power it had. for drive ways it should be a good truck I would just put a lighter plow on it because it is a half ton thats what im going to do with my 150. whats the truck configuration reg cab long bed or ext cab short bed etc....

4. BigLebowski

BigLebowski Junior Member

That is cool. I didn't know that about the 4.3L

It's a reg cab, 8 foot bed, auto - it's a W/T.

The guy I bought this from said he got awesome MPG with this.

Lately I can find W/T's for what seems like pennies. They are everywhere and cheap. Some are nice looking and others look like hell.

But how do you guy feel about towing with it? I do lawn care and pull some heavy weight at times.

5. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

when compared to the 4.8 and the 5.3, the 4.3 really shines in the torque department. sure it makes 20 less ft/lb than the 4.8, but it makes it at a more usable RPM. switching from the Gen I small block in trucks was a hideous decision by GM. sure they make nice HP numbers, but we're playing with trucks, and we need low end torque. look at the peak numbers of the LS motors, they're very high in the RPM range, many so high that during normal driving you'll never see them. now look where the 4.3s torque peak ocurs, at a much lower, much more usable RPM range. this is where you're going to get your "power" and economy from. with plowing and towing, you definitely need all the low RPM torque you can get.

in short, if the alternative is a 4.8 or 5.3 truck, go with the 4.3. if the alternative is a 5.0/5.7 truck, forget the 4.3 even exists.

6. grosser397

grosser397 Senior Member

find that hard to find considering i run a 2500hd with 6.0 and 8 foot plow and thats about all i would put on it. half tons are for the home owner to plow with start plowing commercial and your gonna break down

7. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

Just remember that famous quote....there is no replacement for displacement. and i would rather plow with a v8 over a v6 anyday. the 4.3l are good but its no v-8. the v6 is going to feel underpowered with a big truck and a big plow. in a s10 the 4.3l is excellent but were not talking about a s-10 were talking about a full size. its like putting a 4.3l in a h2. fullsize trucks expcially 3/4t tons should be running a v8 while plowing. a v6 wil prob burn more fuel becuase the v6 has to work harder then the v8. jmo

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008