1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V 10 ques

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by xc23, Jan 27, 2011.

1. xc23

xc23 Member

I am looking to buy a 03 F550 with a V10 55000 miles. any one have any issues with this motor. A friend told me the older models need 93 octane He is a mechanic and said he replaced a motor on one with 5 melted pistons. How is the fuel mi ,power,replacement parts & general characteristics of the motor . The truck will be plowing and salting in the winter & pulling a skid steer , hauling topsoil & mulch being it is equipped with a dump box. Any info will be great thanks.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I never run 93 octane. Your friend is a MORON
    fuel mileage is ok but the power is great.
    have had 2 V-10's and they are great engines
    exhaust manifold bolts and spark plugs are some things to check
  3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Shouldn't have to worry about popping plugs on an 03 like the 99-01's did. The exhaust manifolds were an issue up til 05. I have a couple in the fleet, neither had ever had anything done to the motor or tranny's, an 03 with 115k and an 05 with 111k. Great trucks, but they like the gas station. The 05 (SRW F350 Crew Cab) sees around 10 mpg, the 03 (DRW F350 Chassis) sees around 9 mpg, both mixed city/highway. On an F550, I'd be surprised if you ever saw much better than 8mpg. They have power to spare though. The V10's will last a long long time if taken care of.
  4. xc23

xc23 Member

Thanks for the info I am familiar with the exh manifolds on the fords I have an F250 and have replaced about 3 sets . I think i am going to let the truck set at the dealer a bit an make an offer in the early spring. thanks again.
  5. duncan7455

duncan7455 Junior Member

i bought a 2001 f-250 v-10 replaced at 100000 i had to replace it again at 200000 something in the bottom end let loose
  6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

V10s are known to be really reliable engines. Most common problem is the exhaust manifold leaks or the coil on plugs spitting, which should have been fixed by 03. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it is in good shape.
  7. 350guy

350guy Member

we have 3 v10s a 2000 with 50k no problems a 2005 with 95k no problems and a 2008 with 28k with nothing, its a great engine and youll be happy you went with it,
  8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Any update?