1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v-10 poor fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowflake, Jan 27, 2003.

1. snowflake

snowflake Member

i was just wonderin if anybody else with a v-10 is also experiancing poor fuel mileage lucky to be gettin 10 mpg and if anybody has got any ideas to improve.

other than gettin rid of it and buyin a dodge

gary:help:

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Join the club.
    What I have done:

Installed a K&N FIPK air filter system, changed engine oil to amsoil, installed a taneau (spelling) cover to cover the bed when sander isn't being used.

Yet to complete: All lubrication to synthetic, power chip of some kind.

Might consider changing rear-end gear.

What is any thing have you done.

Rick

3. snowflake

snowflake Member

welll havent done much yet just added the power tower spacer to the throttle body know for sur aint goin to change oils to amsoil had bad experance with there oil.

thinkin about gettin the super chip for it and also puttin on a cat back duel exhaust system

4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

What did you expect from a V10 gas engine?
    I know someone who has one and he says he gets around 10-12mpg.

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Thats what I have heard too about the MPG being in the 10 range on new trucks..

What kinda bad experience could you have with Amsoil synthetics ?? be curious to hear this one ?

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

You answered your own question.Make sure it's a diesel too :)

I would not spend any additional money on add ons to improve fuel economy.I have done a few in the shop,but with no improvement in mileage.They now make more horsepower,which leads to a heavier right foot and less gas mileage.

7. snowflake

snowflake Member

allready got a dodge with a real diesel motor in it and its been a good truck too always have had good luck with dodge
    and had a

blonde moment i quess by buyin that ford

and to rex about amsoil
    had a bad experance usin it in my race motor yrs ago

motor granaded and had it torned down to find oil didnt do what it was suposed to do.

lube

now i used oil that i found that comes out of texas good stuff after i started used it in my diesel mileage improved and can go 8 to 10 grand between oil changes because i send in a oil sample all the time and results come back that i can increase milage between changes

if interested in product will try to find there website

gary:drinkup: no snowin need one

Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  8. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

My V-10 gets about 14.5 on the highway @ 70 mph and about 10 with a loaded gooseneck hore trailer @ 70 mph.

For what it is worth.....

9. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Are you kidding me? You are complaining about a V10 getting bad gas mileage. What did you tink it was going to get?

10. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

V10....bad mileage....don't those two words mean the same thing?;)

11. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

HerkFE
    Gunny,

Do you have a super chip or something???

Rick

12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Snowflake,Id consider yourself lucky to get 10mpg in the winter.My 350 EFI small block only gets 10 in the winter.If you know what you need to do if you want more,(go buy that Dodge).

13. Swampbeast

Swampbeast Junior Member
    from Texas

Those Triton V-10s simply dont get good mileage. I like them for soupin' up and making them go really fast, and I even have a friend that took one out of the truck and put it in a car. Its fast. But it still gets crummy gas mileage. Sell it and get an F-350, with the new International 6.0 liter diesel engine. Tell me how she works.

:cool:

14. snowflake

snowflake Member

15. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

Swamp beast you are reading my mind, My f-350 6.0 diesel came in yesterday so tomorrow I am trading in my f-250 v-10. For the record my v-10 got about 8 miles to the gallon.

16. bgrover

bgrover Member

Well Gary, It's probably par for the course. I have a '95 F250 with a 460cid V8. No matter what I do on the highway I get 11mpg. Lock the hubs in 8mpg.

Thank God for the 2 20gal tanks on the truck!

17. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

mpg

Wow were slaming the sds with gasers if it makes you feel better all my sds have 5.4s in town maybe 11 highway with 4.10s about 12 sometimes 13 tail wind , But and i say but i dont have a problem with that they are 3/4 ton work horses i dont expect to get much better when were plowing they burn about half tank every 4hrs thats good enough for me

18. FIREDUDE26

FIREDUDE26 Member

Well I didnt buy my SD's for mileage, i bought them for the power, if iwanted mileage i would of bought a ranger.

I have 2 v-10's and a 460. I think i get about 9 with my 03 , and 8 in the 00, and the 460 gets about 5. My 03 is getting better, i put a superchip in it, as soon as i get my foot out of it it should pull close to 13. I had a 00 250 with v-10 and a chip, k&n , i got 13 on it and higher going on trips.:drinkup:

19. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

I had a friend let me drive his new F250 with the V-10 while he was out of town a year or two ago. I SWEAR I could watch the gas guage go down as I drove around town. Great fun, tons of power, but I swore I would never own one with that engine. I'm planning on a 250 or 350 for my next truck-let's see if I keep my promise. I'm really suprised at the number of these V-10's I see around here-they must be trying to make up for shortcomings in "other areas"......................................JUST KIDDING GUYS!

20. Swampbeast

Swampbeast Junior Member
    from Texas

I find that most of the people down here that own the V-10s are office workers or men that work indoors, where they do not use thier truck for work. They can afford to pay for the crummy mileage, so they do. They just want the nice power and fast takeoff.
    Almost all of the workers down here use F-250s or F-350's with the mighty Powerstroke engine.

:cool: