1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-10 Life expectancy?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by linycctitan, Nov 1, 2009.

1. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Quick question for the V-10 guys, what kind of life span can one expect from the v10? Looking for a replacement truck (used) and I am finding quite a few F350's that fit the bill but some have the v10 with 110k+. Thanks for the help.
  2. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

great motors, besides exhaust manifolds, really good power for a gas motor. . . i have 2000 f-350 with v-10 that i love, im only at 96k and its still running great. buddy has a 2004 with over a 100k on it thats running fantastic still as well. . . i wouldnt be afraid at all to pull the trigger as long as the price is right . .. local contractor around here had one he was using that was a 2000 with 160 k on it and it still ran good. just got to make sure they were taken care of properly and make sure you keep up the maintenance when you get it.
  3. jamartz

jamartz Member

I got 155K on my X with the v10 and it is a workhorse. I pull my construction trailer (roughly 8500lbs) daily with no reliability issues. I bought it with 110k on it and and have 45K great miles in 1.5 years with it, plan on keeping it for a lot longer. We will see how it does with a plow this year!
  4. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i bought my '04 excursion with the v10 with alittle higher miles then i wanted (80k) 10k miles so far and i love it. from everything i've read/heard it will go along long time so i felt pretty safe with my choice.
  5. linycctitan

Thanks for the input so far guys. How have the trannies been behind these motors?

I found one at a Honda dealer (of all places), 2003 F350 SC/LB, v10, xlt, real clean, tow pkg, plow prep (but never been plowed by looking at where the mount would bolt up), 46k miles, $15.3k. I'm going to try to work a deal on this before it gets gobbled up. I'll keep you posted.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

$15.3 sounds high to me. but it is low miles.
  7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Over 200K on mine now, 99 model, two sets of exh manifolds and brakes all around a couple more than that. Used daily as a work / transport truck. Tranny was warranty at 75K in 2000 and it's still holding up. They got the bugs out of most of them by the 2001 model yr. Good power cept when hauling a heavy trailer but overall for plowing and hauling it works great. J
  8. linycctitan

Believe it or not, true book for this truck in my area is about 18700! Going over there today to see what I can do.
  9. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

many will tell you the trannies are slushboxes...which they are. but they can be built extremely stought!
  10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Biggest problems the V10's have is lack of maintenance by the owners. I've had better luck with the V10's than I've had with small block GM's. The V10 motors will easily make it to 200k without any major repairs if taken care of. The one's that blow are usually neglected. I've heard of V10's making it past 400k in buses and tow trucks without repairs with just regular maintenance.

Common problems are spitting spark plugs in the 99-02's, usually caused by improper torquing of the plugs. And manifold bolts rusting off on 99-04's. The 4r100 trans is definitely the weak point in any superduty, gas or diesel, the longest I've ever had one go is 130k, but I've had them go as early as 65k. The 05+ V10 trucks with the coil spring font ends and 5r110 trans are awesome trucks. 85k on my 05 now and it's had nothing other than regular fluid changes, ball joints, and rear axle seals, and it's plowed and towed for 4 hard years.
  11. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I've been researching this motor as well...thanks for the honest replies
  12. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

If you aren't hauling anything heavy you don't need the diesel. The trannys will last if you know how to work them. Run Mobil 1 in them. Some guys are animals driving them. My 02 plowed,hauled a 4k camper around and other things and still was going strong a 200K. But after a life of driving pickups I know how to work and not overwork.
  13. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I just had my V10 replaced a few months ago...it dropped the #3 valve into the piston and ruined the head/piston/etc.....Everything i heard from the ford tech that did it..he moonlights out of his garage at night and works the dealership during the day, he told me they get a ton of these mod motors in every month that have done the exact same thing..dropped valves/broken valve springs so he was'nt suprised to see it. But then i talk to my freinds that own scrap yards and they say they take in trucks all the time that have 150-220,000 miles on them and the engines still sound great.

Personally i think the V10 is an anemic POS (mines a 2000 so everybody tells me i have to install 4.30 gears in front/rear diffs) and i have'nt pulled with a newer 3 valve so i cant compare, i only know that both these V10's i've had in my truck now do get the job done...just not easily (when towing to race tracks and we're loaded to the gills) or effeceintly, both V10's now have averaged 9-10mpg in my ext cab 4x4 F350 empty, 2-4mpg while plowing, and 4-7mpg while towing at 65-70mph.

unless the price is right as rain on an older model (pre -04) in the $5000-7500 range with under 100K miles i'd be passing and looking elsewhere. Nobody wants these V10 trucks anywhere and once you start looking, they're basically being given away. Dealer will not take them in on trade since they cant resell them, a few buddies of mine are stuck with their and had to buy their new trucks outright due to this fact. The trucks are still top notch though:cool:
  14. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

There is also the spark plug thread problem that seems to occur around 120K - 150K. They have a spark plug "threader" kit so you don't have to replace the entire head, but it is still a crappy failure. Buddy of mine shot the #6 plug out of his motor driving down the road last year. His was a 99, but I think it is fixed on the newer ones.
  15. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

I have F350 V10 with a 9ft dump box.Tow around skidsteer and 3.5mt mini ex.We love truck.
  16. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Got 265K on my 99 the tranny needs replacing because I overheated it last winter. Shifts hard and doesn't shift when it's suppose to. Waiting for it to die before it gets replaced. Nice motor though barely uses oil. The exhaust manifold bolts are a pain though.
  17. FBN

FBN Member

I bought a 99 with the v-10 new and used it for boat hauling. Sold it with 100k on it and the only things that went were the rear springs and the rear had new bearings at about 90k since it was getting noisy. It did spit 2 plugs and had 1 coil go bad but the heads were never off. It had 4:30 gears and would lay 20' of posi when punching it from from a dead stop when it was new. My buddy bought a 08 F350 dually with the v-10 and it seems pretty gutless compared to my 99. I guess it's because of the tougher emissions.
  18. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a 2008 F-450 4X4 with the V 10. I am very disapointed in the power and fuel milage. Average less than 8mpg normal driving. Next time I will buy the diesel.
  19. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

driving it like you stole it? the diesel isnt getting much better. for 6-8k bux more you can have 2-3 mpg more! your driving a 10000lbs truck around what kinda mileage do you expect?
  20. Case580M

Case580M Senior Member

I know of a very nice 2000 Lariat V-10 4x4 with 85k miles for only 9,000.00 but its in my neck of the woods. Not only that but they do not rust out here. Truck is from Arizona to boot