1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-10 engines

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SCSIndust, Feb 26, 2005.

1. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

What is the general consensus on these engines? Someone told me that the oil system on these engines has problems getting to the back 2 cylinders. I was looking into getting a 99 Ram 2500. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

I really dont know about the dodge v-10 but I know the Fords dont have any problems with that at least as far as I know. Just expect to get about 7 mpg.

3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I did some research on the Dodge V-10 about 6 months ago when I bought my 98 2500. It has a 360, but the other one I was looking at had the V10. My overall impression was that it is a good engine with a lot of torque. Some people were saying it has torque like a diesel.

Everyone complains of gas mileage, You buy a truck to work.... You justify any mileage in your pricing.

4. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

My uncle has a dodge v-10, and he said he gets 12 around town (small, small town), and about 15 on the highway. It is a write-off any way - gas and truck. I am buying it to plow and drive only.

5. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

I have a 1998 dodge with a V10.SO far so good it has 210,000kms on it and still tons of oil pressure.Lots of power not so good on fuel only things I have replaced are spark plugs and wires and idler pulley...touch wood.I have put a K and N cold air induction on which gives me a little better fuel mileage.It has a smooth power band I have never had a Diesel so I can't compare.I like the Engine not to happy with the rest of my truck lately front end problems,rides like crap,New rad,shifts hard all of a sudden(anybody know why?) but thats another topic.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Only complaint I have ever heard was gas milage. Great torque, smooth power, but horrible milage. Diesels get 15+ city with low gears (I get 15-16 summer city and 17-18 highway) standard gearing in a diesel gets 20+ city.
    Torque is comparible to diesel as is the price, but not as fuel effecient or long living (diesel is good for 300K+ before major overhaul- 200K on a gasser is unusual even for all highway)

Front ends are an issue for both but more for the diesel because it is still heavier (tho not much) than the V10.

Oh, the other complaint I heard was it generates speeding tickets :D Seems they accelerate quickly past highway speed.

7. bln

bln Senior Member

I have a 96 V-10 with 105,000 miles on it and have had no problems with it. Just keep up eith the scheduled maintenance and it will treat you right. The torque and power are out of this world.

8. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

"Front ends are a problem"

Do you guys grease all your zerks??? The front end is a Dana 60 which is a great front axle, the rest are simply tie rods and trailing rods.... Whats the deal with you guys badmouthing Dodge front ends? How about Chevy with the CV joints? Or Ford TTB? What do you expect? Front end parts need replacing after a while. Everything has an expected life. I see all these guys with over 100k wondering why they need this, and why they need that. Plowing, salt and ice will play havok.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Easy man, easy. Dodge front ends are not well executed for these trucks. Yeah it's a Dana 60, but the front end layout is a scaled up Jeep Cherokee- bigger rods that's it. It wasn't designed to handle a 3/4 ton truck. the track bar is an inferior design from go- hence DC changed them on the current gen of trucks.
    the Dana axles are modular hubs which is the weak part of them- wheel bearings are pressed in the hubs and are not greasable or replaceable= whole hub must be changed at about $600 each (last time I looked into it I was told $800 per hub- parts cost- dealer only parts). Factory rods don't all have zerks either. My complaint on the front end is the track bar (Lukes Link fixed it for me)and the weak front axle weight rating due to the CAD design and the bearing/hub design- that axle is fine for Gas engines but they should have put 70's in the front of the diesels like they did in the 3500's- which also suffer from the tie rod and link arm system being poorly designed for such a large truck. I despise Ford after owning one and working on several, plus friends experiances with them, and Chevy front ends aren't designed for working (torsion bars on a 1 toin truck- come on). Not picking on them just stating facts- besides this IS the Dodge truck forum....

10. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

Exactly what justme said :) .The Goat(dodge ram) front end is just a poor design.Yes I grease my front end twice a month.I have never worked this truck it hasen't seen a plow on the front....I have replaced everything in the front twice.Of course the Dana 60 is good Dodge doesn't make it.(sorry dodge fans I'm just a little mad at my goat)But my trans hasen't given me any problems like so many others have had except for recently it has starting shifting hard which could very well be my TPS.I'm not sure what 210,000kms works out to in miles but the dodge tranny has held up quite well but the front end being replaced TWICE?.As far as your origional question.I like my V10 alot its just a little hard on fuel but damn this thing has got some mega power.Anyone here ever do a big smokey burn out with theirs? :drinkup: Ok so I'm a little off topic here but you get my point right

1998 2500 Dodge Ram ext. cab 4x4 V10

11. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I just bought one today. It is a 1999. I'll post back when I actually get to drive it. It has to get a front end alignment (go figure). It has 93K on it, with everything exept leather, quad cab, long bed, 4x4. When I took it out, man, did it have some power!!

12. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Sweet . Best of Luck man :drinkup:

13. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

You guys must beat the livin hell outta yours. I pull out concrete pillars and pull out tree stumps and still no problem YTD. You can't abuse sh!t and expect it to last forever. I even bent the hitch (not the receiver) yankin out a chunk of culvert and still strong.

14. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

Another proud V10 owner

Good luck with your new truck there quite few V10 owners on this site and most are really helpful.If you have any ideas or concerns the gas guzzling with big power V10 owners are near by. :drinkup: Does any one know what Blade_masters is trying to say? :confused:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yeah, he thinks we all abuse our Dodges. I have done nothing but baby mine since I bought it- several people still ask what year it is and are surprised when I tell it's a 96- they think it's newer.
    Check out the dodge forums and BBS's Blade_Masters- the Rams have well documented issues- from the "Killer Dowel Pin" on the CTD to the "Death Wobble" in all of them.

Many owners get a lot more milage out of their truck than the average before a given problem- Steering box is finally going on mine 124K miles. Original factory installed track bar went at 119K (expected life is about 40K for factory bar and the Moog's). Front rotors need to be replaced this off season. No major tranny problems here- but mine was already beefed up and reworked for me so I don't expect any for quit some time. (mine is now basically equivelant to the new 48re's in the current gen trucks)

Don't assume we abuse the truck just because you haven't had the problem- be thankful you haven't.

16. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Death Wobble???? Please explain.

17. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I picked up the truck today. It has plenty of power, but desperatley needs exhaust. It sounds so bad stock. I heard Borla is the way to go, but I am leary about the way it will sound. Anybody running exhaust, and how good does it sound?????

18. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

Maybe a bit off course....
    I've got a klunking sound from my steering box. What's the replacement for this that's permanent? Oh, it's the 01 2500 Diesel. Is the 3500's any bigger? Just wondering.

BTW. I love my truck.
    I don't think a week goes by I don't praise God for it!
    (I upgraded from a 98 1500, nice, but no comparison)

~Matt

19. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

does your 1999 have two pipes,two converters going intointo one muffler then one out the tail pipe?Mine did so I went and bought two flow master mufflers and took my truck to the local muffler shop.now I got duals it sounds better but you don't get that V8 "rumble" I was a little disappointed but it sounds cool and the smooth tone of the V10 eventually grows on you.Oh and don't run you duals straight out the back run them both out behind the passenger rear tire and slap some 3 1/2 stainless tips it looks so cool.Well thats my opinion.I was thinking of trying out Magnaflow mufflers this year since the sound they have is pretty good on V8's :drinkup: After I put my K&N cold air kit it really seemed to let the engine breathe better.With the exhaust and cold air kit it does sound different but definitly cool

20. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

my v10 has 160,000 and still going strong....