1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uumm a good start?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by willofalltrades, Oct 30, 2006.

1. willofalltrades

willofalltrades Member

I just turned 18 last weekend. I have been offered the opportunity to plow a condo association with a skid steer loader and a plow. It is being sub-contracted to me from a guy who got it subcontracted to him from a large company. I have around 30 previous hours in a skid steer loader so operating it isn't a problem. The problem lies in terms of school. I am still in high school. I would get up around 2a.m. plow till 6:30-7:00 then drive to school. Would you recommend this or should I hold off and get a job somewhere else? They are offering $20 an hour.
  2. F350 Snowman

F350 Snowman Senior Member

yeah good money but school and safety are more important. If you plow you will always be tired and that leads to accidents.

Just my thought!
  3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i have 2 questions...
    1. why is this lot being sub contracted by 3 people ?
    2. no offence ... why would they offer this job to a kid ? again no offence i don't mean to be rude but i have to ask.

i always question every thing...but if you think $20 an hour is a fair amount of money and you can get the job done on time while going to school , why not take it ?
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I agree, sure take it. It doesn't snow that often. So you might be tired once in awhile - that's life. And it would be good experience as well as good money.
  5. rush

rush Member

If this job is sub'ed down the food chain 3 x's and they are still able to pay 20/hr, imagine what the guy at the top of the food chain is getting!
  6. willofalltrades

willofalltrades Member

Its being given to me because the owner of the skid steer works for the first contractor. He got more money and more responsibility this year so he was told not to plow himself. He plowed it last year.

$20 a hour is what they are paying their snow shovelers. So I can freeze my butt off at 2am shoveling sidewalks or sit in a heated cab... what would you pick. lol
  7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Do it, go ahead, do it ;)
  8. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Well, speaking from an old mans point of view......

When I was 18 yrs old, it was nothing to stay up all night and coast thru the next day. You recover very quickly at your age.

So fast forward 1 year...

Next year, you are 19, you are either entering a university , the service, or getting a job.

Would you rather look back and say "I took that job at McDonalds" but I got plenty of sleep, or "I did the plow thing and logged a winters worth of time on a skidloader" but I had to stay up 5 nights to do it.

Your choice, but you can work at McDonalds anytime. Not everybody gets the opportunity to run a loader on almost no experience--and that's what your weighing here--opportunity.
    I doubt handing out fries will amplify your chances at getting another skidloader job next year. Just the fact that your posting on this site means your interested in snow removal.

Like I said, your choice....I know what I'd do!
  9. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

if it were me i would take it. so youre tired a few days at school. i am also 17 about to turn 18. just think that if you get enough snow you night not even have school. soo..... i would mos def do it
  10. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

take it. it will be a fun job:nod:
  11. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I managed to run the skid steer in the winter, and still hit highschool, and I started younger. I think it was when I was 16 that well we just couldn't find anyone part time that could run the machine like me (Excavation company, I have been running them since I could walk). So I managed to pull it off for what 2 years. You're young you'll have the ability to do an all nighter and still fake listening to a lecture. And Coffee is always there.

There' nothing like getting out here pushing some snow around, getting paid for it, and knowing most people in your class year, don't get a chance to do it.
  12. Brian's Lawn

plus theres always MONSTER energy drinks that kick ass
  13. willofalltrades

willofalltrades Member

14. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

plowed for 2 years in high school sometimes i was late and sometimes i didnt go wasnt too bad because i made a lot of money
  15. Brian's Lawn

right on man. think of it this way "willofalltrades" would you rather be makin some ca$h or listening to some B.S. in the classroom. lol payup
  16. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

kinda the same thing here, if its suppose to snow i plow all night and go to school if it isn't a bad storm, if it is bad, and school hasn't been canceled, then i just stay home from school. My parents know that i make up all my work and i keep my grades high (A's to high B's) so as long as my grades are good, then im allowed to do this as it is for a good purpose. Making payup payup payup payup

Ide take the job that was offered to you, sounds like fun and good money
  17. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

Well..glad that your asking for advice..but..alot of people will give you that..either right or wrong..it boils down to if your able to do that kind of committment and have school on your shoulder too..my major concern is this..why is it subletted 3 times?..ok..20 bucks and hour sounds like alot of cash..but is the sub contractor that hired you gonna pay you right away or is he gonna give you a line that he needs to wait till he gets paid from the other contractor..you might get stiffed and almost wait till spring before you see any cash..cover your butt and good luck
  18. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

What happens when it snow while you are at school and there is a storm? Limiting yourself to certain hours doesn't cut it with snow.
  19. southsideone

southsideone Member

i agree w/ vahighwayman, definitely find out when youre gonna get paid. and make sure they dont try to take advantage of you cause youre younger. if something doesnt seem to add up to you, then dont do it. as far as doing snow removal and going to school, i'd do it. youll look back someday and will be glad you did it, something w/ the "man" complex i guess. and if worse comes to worse, and you cant handle it, just quit. if they wouldnt understand that, then fug them.