1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Utv advice

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Hedgehog, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

I'm thinking about trading my 2010 brute force 750 for a utv. It will be use primarily in the winter for plowing my driveway, parking area and a 60" wide sidewalk. I've been looking at either a left over rhino, a yamaha Viking or a kawasaki teryx. They all have there pros and cons. I like the width of the rhino because I could use a plow that wouldn't be too wide for the sidewalk but would hate to buy yesterday's technology. The Viking is cool and I'm sure reliable but is on the wide side. I like the teryx for the v twin power and I know the owner of the local kawi dealer but it is still wide and I think the yamaha is more reliable. Any input would be appreciated.

2. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

For a Yamaha I felt it had a lot of vibration coming from it, same with the can am, then I started a rzr and it was a lot smoother, just something too think about holding a wheel that vibrates would get old quick IMO

3. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

I've been using my 2007 Arctic Cat Prowler 650 for a few years and it's done well for me. It's might be a little wide for sidewalks, it's 60" wide and I'm using a 72" blade. I'd like to replace it with the 66" Eagle V-Plow which I think would work great on sidewalks. If I bought a new utv I would look for one with less engine noise.

4. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

I was looking at the 50" wide polaris rzr's and was wondering how they plow? The two models I liked had 800 and 900 cc motors. The width is nice because I could by the proper size plow to get down my 60" wide sidewalk. I also looked at the single seat polaris ace but not sure if they even offer a plow for that. Plus,I would rather have the extra weight of the bigger machine for plowing.

5. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

Looks like it does a pretty good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbBxPD5D7wQ

6. Bigdoghd

Bigdoghd Member

Have to believe the traction sucks though?

7. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

If you have unlimited $$$ for a utv, the Polaris Brutus runs a steel plow with hydraulic angle. Plus you get defrost and heat.

PART_1415017109459_1102141412a.jpg

8. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

Take a look at the Honda Pioneer 500. Perfect size for the side walks at 50" wide. It has the same engine out of the Foreman 500 ATV series so you know its "built to work". All direct shaft drive (no belts/CVT trans). With the low gear and ungodly torque there will be no problem pushing any amount of snow!! Base price on the unit itself is $8499.00

9. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

Wish I had the bucks for one of those.

10. snowcommander

snowcommander Junior Member

I would get a Polaris Ranger over anything. I've had mine now for over a year and I use it for spraying, work on our landscaping and industrial jobsites, and plowing snow. I have a Ranger 900XP but you could probably get away with a 570. Just my two cents...

11. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Check this UTV out. Coming to your Mahindra dealers soon. These are built extremely tough and have the best warranty in the industry.

B2QKIX4IEAA9T7v.jpg

B2QKIX4IEAA9T7v.jpg

12. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

13. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

14. Carroll257

Carroll257 Junior Member

I've got a Teryx with a 72" county blade and love it. Sorry, crappy pic. I went with the 2 seat version for the bigger bed that dumps and the ton of dry storage.
    [​IMG]

15. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

I'm really liking the Polaris ace 570. It seems to have more leg room than the rzr and other side by sides because your legs actually go in between the front wheels. On the rzr, your left leg feels cramped because of the left wheelwell in front of your foot. The ace can accommodate a 60" plow.

16. BiffNH

BiffNH Junior Member

I had a 2011 Ranger 400 and put 900 hours on it in 3 years. Loved it, but it was noisy in the cab and I did not like the belt drive as it provided no engine braking and creeping up hill meant playing with the accelerator constantly to engage and disengage the belt. When blowing leaves up hill I have to move slowly and it just didn't want to move slowly. It also seemed to use fuel faster than I thought a one cylinder engine should. The carburetor system is simple, but not efficient by today's standards. It is a nimble machine and very fast.

I sold it and purchased a Kubota RTV-X900 and it is just what I need. HST transmission means good engine breaking, good creeping gear, lots of power, much quieter in the cab and it sips diesel fuel! It is a workhorse with refinement. Not fast, but perfect for hauling and other maintenance duties. I have a Boss V-XT on it and it moves snow!

17. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

A good shovel is all you need this year oh wait a leaf blower would work too

18. BiffNH

BiffNH Junior Member

What a winter?

I know - we've had about 30" but only 10" at most on the ground at any one time. Even the Lake froze over late. Poor excuse for winter. All the plowing I've done has been nuisance plowing.