1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Utility Lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim1075, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

How do the round tractor utility lights work as back-up lights? Any suggestions or pictures of where to mount them.

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

They work well - IMO at least. I prefer them up high, my experience has been anything hanging down below the bumper is asking to get smashed...................... :eek:

Here's another idea to toss into the ring - I've done this on my truck. For tail/turn lights I'm using the 4" rubber mount "Truk-Lite" style, they also make a 4" white light which is fairly bright and doesn't draw a whole lot of juice. I have two of these hooked to my transmission back-up light switch, and the majority of the time I find them bright enough.

If I need more light, a switch on the dash turns on the two utility lights up on the headache rack.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've been using them for over 20 years! I think they work great, and fairly inexpensive too. I wire mine on a seperate switch so I can see in the mirror how things are going.

I've mounted mine in various locations through the years. I've made them portable so they'd drop in a bed pocket and plug in to an accessory socket I mounted in the bed, on the step bumper, under the step bumper, (don't recommend this one), and my favorite was in the 8" drop step bumper. I hole sawed 2 four inch holes in the wide portion of the drop and mounted one on either side of the hitch. Looked factory installed. There are totally enclosed rubber boots available that these will mount in to keep dirt and salt off the backs of them.

I've also found a halogen replacement bulb for them with a wide dispersion lense that really lights things up. The number is 4466, I usually have to special order them.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

you can also find those lights at a marine supply store like west marine(E&B).Any thing at these stores is made to be in salt weather,they also have some good electrical supplies and wire .

5. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I bought some "Baja" lights from auto zone, which as basically rectangle lights, with all the wiring, and covers for the lights. I mounted them under the bumper. When i mounted them, i made them tight enought no stay in one position, but not tight where they don't move if i hit something. I put them on in November, and they're working really well.

Next truck, i think i'd mount them to the hitch, i see a lot of people doing that now with the tractor lights.

Alan puts them on the rear corners of the truck beds and on the homemade headache racks. I like that idea a lot.

Bryan

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

On pickups I mon't them to headache racks and to the receiver hitches. On the dump I have them on the hitch plate and on the cab guard. I also mon't some (switch seperatly) to my spreaders to illuminate both in the hopper and near the chute.

7. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

hella light

AW DIRECT sells a hella light with two 55 watt bulbs in one light can be wired to turn on one or both bulbs. this light on a headace rack will make daylight any where you aim it. not cheap, but then any thing that works is'nt cheap.

8. GoSlo

GoSlo Junior Member

I have used these lights for years and not had a problem. I wired the up to the backup lights that way I don't forget to turn them off.

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Good point about saving the battery. I like to have indiscator lights by my switches. I also wire all lights with relays through the ignition. This was no matter what the lights are off when the key is off.

10. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I mounted one on the bottom of my bumper on my chevy right up agianst the hitch so even if I back into a snow bank it won't get ripped off or anything because it's agianst the hitch, I havn't had any problems, works great.

11. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I have installed both on my trucks with the ability to turn off the lights mounted higher. This is very helpful when it is snowing very hard because the lights mounted high on a rack or bar just reflect off the snow and don't do as good a job allowing you to see. I have mounted the "low' lights recessed behind the bumper on each side of the receiver hitch and wired into the back-up lights so they can not be broken and shine low during heavy snows.

12. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

Well i mounted them. Thanks for your help. Let me know what you guys think.

backup.jpg

13. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good to me. With the way you have the lights positioned, it will give you a better view of sides your truck will be backing up through. However since you mounted it under the bumper, I suggest you to have a spare light on hand. Image if you get alot of snow, running out of room, and you have to back up in a tight driveway, you probably would end up smashing the lights into frozen pile of snow. Maybe build a rigid light guard? Probably still would get smashed anyway. Otherwise be careful not to smash the lights.

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have my lights the same place. Surprisingly often the sealed beam will just pop out of the rubber mount and not break. I have had this happen a few times and the lights still work. Having lights down low does have the advantage of little glare.

15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

they look good where you have them.I have the whelen bar with them mounted high but those will do fine for you just remember not to back to close to snow banks in the winter.

16. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 Banned

looks good! when i get my truck i will try that

17. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

This where I put them on my truck.

Now the bad news: by February they are both broken or missing from being hit by snow/ice chunks in the piles. But at $10 apiece at AW Direct I just slap a new one on.

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I do not recall having that much snow last year. Not sure how you managed to hit snow piles and destroy those lights. I have hit ice piles that broke my taillights and the rubber lights were fine.

19. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

Second new addition this week is my amber rotator that i just put on tonight.

l-bar.jpg

20. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

another pic

92ford6.jpg