1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Utility Flag" type marker pictures for curbs, parking lots, etc....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LwnmwrMan22, Oct 19, 2007.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Got my flags today from Blackburn Mfg., so as stated in a previous thread, I said I'd take some pictures.

The first couple are the flags in a box. The box is about 10"x2'x6", not much room to carry around 1000 flags, much less than 1000 furring strips, conduit, fiberglass markers, etc.

Again, these cost me $92.58, flags, printing and shipping, all completed and received in 5 business days.

These were taken at a Famous Daves BBQ, and don't show up the greatest against the red mulch, but you can somewhat get the idea.

Also, when the picture was taken with them in the box, the flash pretty much washed the color out. They're a typical hot pink color, not a faded pink, as the look in the first pic or two.

FamousDaves001.jpg

FamousDaves002.jpg

FamousDaves003.jpg

FamousDaves004.jpg

2. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

aren't those way too small? When it snows arent they just going to bend over and get covered. JMO Nick

3. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Yeah, they are or put them in the snow pile when done pushing ! :confused:

4. LwnmwrMan22

Once you have the snow pile there, don't you see that there's a snow pile there?? Do you still need a marker to show that there's a snow pile there? :gunsfiring:

They don't get pushed over by snowfall. Sheesh, how big are the snowflakes in your area???

5. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

I think what WE meant was they might be too small to start with, its a great idea but those flags might get buried in the first decent snow piling (push) thats all, please don't be offended. I might do the same thing. Where did you get those made ? :)

6. LwnmwrMan22

They're 21" tall, you can get taller ones if you'd like. I personally don't because the curb is already 5" tall, so even if I push the flag into the ground 5", I'm still 20" above the surface of the parking lot.

If I'm not at a property before the snow depth gets to 20", then there's something else SERIOUSLY wrong, especially with doing 28 lots with 3 trucks.

Yes, once I plow snow, over, especially if the whole lot gets winged to one side, then chances are, some of them are going to be buried.

However, now I'm going to have an entire row of plowed snow to mark where a curb line is.

Most of the time, the snow is not going to bend them over. Does the snow push over 1"x3" lath?? Does it push over the fiberglass markers?? No, There's less surface area on the smaller diameter flagstaff to be hit by the plowed snow than the other markers.

No, they're not 3', 4', 5' tall, but again, like I said, hopefully I've been to my properties before the snow gets that deep.

If you have a foreclosed / vacation home, and you live in a lake effect snow area where you can let the drive get deep, then you probably have to use something else.

If you're using a bunch of loaders with pushboxs, pushing into the curbs, then you may want something a little taller.

However, for a pickup / skidsteer, you'd be surprised how bright that hot pink stands out against a field of white.

I got them from Blackburn. There's a link on Lawnsite.com, or I'm sure you can google them.

7. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Thanks, I appreciate your time typing ALL :dizzy: that info. :cool:

8. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I just thought that the snow would stick to the flag and pull it over. Maybe its just me living in Buffalo, NY(lots and lots of lake effect) that I dont see how they would work. Thanks Nick

9. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

LwnmwrMan22
    I guess these guys haven't seen the field of white six or ten inches deep 50 or a 1000 square yards or 2-5 acres.
    No one has driven on it yet, you're the first one there, YOUR'E THE PLOW GUY!
    Now go ram that snow at 30mph and oh.....don't hit that curb.......where was it?
    picture that....get the idea now new guys?

10. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Do your commercial clients know you are going to put dozens or hundreds of these things on their land all winter?

Not to be a pud but if I owned a place Im good for a few stakes and whatnot, but not turning my business into a big advertising campaign and decorating it with flashy pink flags that detract from my site.

11. LwnmwrMan22

There will be no more of these flags than any other type of marker.

I'm not creating obstacles just so I can put more advertising out.

Do you think a commercial place would rather have 1-2' high small little flags, or 3-4' high lath / conduit sticking up?? It's a wash. They're there for a reason. They're there to protect both parties' property. They're there to be able to service a property in a timely matter, I'm not 'idling' up to curbs so I don't damage them or my equipment.

You guys crack me up, just can't think outside the box, huh??

12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

it's up to you, but I suggest looking at your sites before it snows. And also I don't reccomend leaving your sites until they get to 10". Heavy snow or not. Because at 10" you better have more than a truck, and in that case you won't be plowing at 30mph.

And 10" of snow, 30" of snow, or 1" of snow, it all piles up the same. It's pretty easy to spot the humps in the snow where the curbs are.

But hey, that's just my way of doing things.

And on a side note. I've never needed markers for my own sites. I've never damaged a curb. I've hit loose curb stops before, but you don't really have a way to mark them anyways.

Markers are great if you have a lot of subs or different drivers handling your account at any time. But for me, a site map does the trick for the first time out and I can usually remember pretty good from there on in.

13. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Theres guys around here that use them, I think its a good idea, to get your name out. If I didnt have so many fiberglass markers I would use them.

Also if kids take them you they get lost, your not out much.

14. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Well I am just going off the way you had the one marked. I'ts a good idea.

15. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

im actually plowing a walkway out this year since it is even with the tar. on one side though it has a landscaped block wall thats only about five inches high. i want to get as close to the wall as i can to plow the walk that runs along the wall so i dont want to put anything on the ground side of the wall i want something on the cement walkway side of the wall. picture the above but i want to plow as close to the curb as i can. i cant think of a way to mark it. think ill just have to drive up to it and dig my foot in the ground for fishing for it for the whole length of it. since it isnt a straight wall it could suck. its the kind that is put together without cement using the thin slate like rocks.... dont remember what you call it.

16. Snow_Pusher

Snow_Pusher Junior Member

Dont mean to hyjack your thread LwnmwrMan (which by the way, I think your flag markers are a great idea, and I'd be curious as to see how they hold up)

On a slightly different note, and this question is directed more to the industry than any one in particular.

Dont you think by puting up markers you then assume a certain liability?

By not placing markers our liability is more or less assumed. Where as by placing curb markers we now indicate that we will not damage the property since it is clearly marked.

I've been plowing for 7 years or so now I guess, and it isnt too difficult to avoid hitting curbs. Some of the less prominant curbs are a bit tricky bu I have found that on the few occassions I have clipped one its more or less because I was either in a bit of a rush or not paying attention. I'm not sure markers would have avoided these occurences.

I'm not sure if any of our property owners would complain about a nicked curb, but I feel if we place markers out then it would give them more of an arguing stance, since we clearly marked the curb and yet we still hit / damaged it. Where as, if we dont mark them, then we simply have an assumed liability where we may be able to defend our actions better in those rare instances.

Just a thought.

17. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

It looks like a great idea to me. I would go for hunter orange with black lettering.

Tim

18. LwnmwrMan22

My take on it is, that if you plow the lot, you're already liable for ANY damage, whether to curbs, turf, ornamentals, signs, buildings, anything on that property. Also, I try to minimize the amount of damage possible to a plow / truck, since if one of those breaks down, espcially early in the route, then there's just that much more work on the others to complete.

If you're the only one plowing, it's not that big of an issue. I personally plow, along with my dad (73 years young) and this year I'm adding one other guy.

We all have our regular 4-5-6 different lots to plow, but there's 4 others that we each get to whenever we're done with our usual. It's just nice to be able to pull into a lot, have 6" of snow on the ground, and yes, you can see where the humps are with the snow on the curbs, but you can just speed things up because you don't have to "feel" for the curbs, which then means getting on to the next property sooner.

19. LwnmwrMan22

I used pink, because there's no utility company around here flagging with pink. Electrical companies use orange here and I don't want confusion.

20. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I agree with Lawnmrwman on this, we are going to have to repair any damages anyhow. I know about 95% of our accounts like the back of my hand. But at 2am with 4" of snow on the ground, its not the same, and I can speed along with out thinking twice.

But you put a diff driver on that lot he may not be sure where every thing is.It also makes it ez to find the drives and stuff.

I also think it makes the client feel like you care about them.