1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UTG with spinner in middle

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by xtreem3d, Oct 26, 2010.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

who makes an UTG spreader with the augers going opposite directions , pushing salt to a spinner in the middle? could have sworn i saw a vid of it
    steve

2. LON

LON Senior Member

3. Township1

Township1 Member

4. xtreem3d

thanks...didn't see that they offered a spinner in the middle versions
    Probably can tell this is my first venture into UTG spreaders. when it lists 6" or 9" i'm guessing that's the diameter of the auger? bigger is probably better? direct drive or gearbox drive?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  5. LON

LON Senior Member

if your central hydraulic sysyem has some age to it you would be better off going to a gearbox style, more torque w/ less pressure vs a direct drive.
    9" allows for less chance of material bridging over the auger but it will all depend on chassis size. Bigger on a 550 chassis could mean "quicker to the ground" vs a 6"

6. xtreem3d

LON...thanks...getting quote on a henderson center spinner.it's going to be a special build sort of thing and probably pricey comapred to what dealers have in stock
    ..why are almost all of them offset to the end or in 2 feet from the end? what is the "real world" spread pattern of the offset spinners?
    steve

7. LON

LON Senior Member

offset allows the material to be dropped at the center of a 2 lane highway. That way traffic can "carry" the material over the rest of the road surface. The study that has been done finds that if the material is slung berm to berm that half of the material is wasted due to it "bouncing" off the road surface or that traffic "moves" it there. This is why the DOT's only have about a 4ft pattern
    40ft is possible to spread

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

You know at first I didn't like the offset idea, but after using it, I ink it has a lot of advantages

1 when you raise the box up, you can almost litteraly look behind you in the mirror and see the spinner,
    2 easier to see material at night in drivers mirror
    3 throws a little father to the drivers side....helps getting the salt to throw under cars....
    4. Tow a trailer with out removing spinner of you are careful

Only bad that I don't like is the spread pattern isn't 100 dead center, and so driving single passes in the middle of a drive lane you will not hit both sides effectively the same.....so you either off set your truck so your spinner is down the middle or you drive on the opposite side and make 2 passes. Which in all reallity I end up making multiple passes most of the time, I don't really like the guys messing with the auger controls, they just end up cranking up the flow, and wasting material. I'd rather just have them make extra oases when needed

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Another good tip, if you plan to plow with this truck whole having an empty bed.... Remove the tailgate and have them extend the salter flip cover with a hinged peace of steel. This way you can close up the lid and be able to see out the back window pretty good, almost like driving a flat bed truck. You wouldn't believe it till you try it, but practice backing up with your tailgate in the down position and then back to the up, you will quickly see why

10. xtreem3d

you make some good points. if this wasn't a 28,000gvw truck i wouldn't think twice about the offset because i also prefer to make multilpe passes but this truck is about as wide as a lane and there wont be alot of room to scoot over to one side. I am actually happy with the quote i got for the Henderson stainless center spinner @ $3300.00 but i need to verify the exact setup to be sure it's what i would want. I also got a great quote on an offset (by 21") swenson stainless for 2700.00...just not sure what to do, don't want to be sorry
    steve