1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Utah DOT Tow Plow Video

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Jelinek61, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

2. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Never seen one of those before. Pretty neat what they think up for the road boys.

4. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

how they can watch where they are going and where the trailer is and if the salter is working right and drink their coffee and so on and so fourth at the same time amazes me

5. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

Must be so many controls inside the cab to run the plows, wheels and spreaders. Don't think they could pay me enough to have to worry about all that iron.

6. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

They have camera's to monitor the whole setup. I feel like they clear a bunch of snow but it seems like they dont eliminate any trucks on the road. They always seem to have cops or pickups keeping traffic back so there is still just as many people working (getting paid) if they just added another plow truck instead.

7. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

They always seem to have cops or pickups keeping traffic back so there is still just as many people working (getting paid) if they just added another plow truck instead.

that cop or person in the pickup is going to get paid if there following that plow or not

plus the cost of a pickup is far less then a fully outfitted plow truck

8. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Thats true but the tow plow itself is a huge cost also

9. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

the quote i seen for 1 was about $85,000 (liquid)and the s/a truck i drive which is a 2010 international was $134,000 with just a front plow and spreader so they are very cost effective compared to a tandem axle truck with a wing along with you don't have a extra drive train to worry about, the tow plow uses the same cutting edges as a standard 12' plow. you do have to commit a truck just for this due to having to add cameras and a extra remote for the hydraulics along with adding the remote control. i was on a committee looking at the purchase of one of these.

10. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Those trailer plows are incredible

11. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

thats cool i like it i want one if i had the money

maybe there is another person in the steering the tow plow who knows

12. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

they are easier to operate with 2 people but they are designed so one person can operate the whole thing

13. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

The States of Utah ,Minn, Missouri have these and Now Iowa purchased 3 of them the cities of Des Moines ,Council Bluffs and Waterloo i think there gonna be more of them around in the near future