1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Usm - walgreens?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EPM, Feb 12, 2015.

1. EPM

EPM Member

Anyone getting paid from USM for Walgreens? We were just asked to take on two stores locally and am unsure of it without some serious modification to their contract. I know, national MGT CO.... but is it even worth getting my red pen out to correct their contract or should I just tell them to pound sand?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Was just in one of their lots tonight, what a half-assed plow job.

3. procut

procut Senior Member

I had a call from them last week. Looking for someone to finish out the season at a local store. I turned it down, but wondered what happened, if the contractor bailed on them, or if they pulled it from the contractor.

4. EPM

EPM Member

The one's here don't look great either. Not plowed out the the curb's, snow stacked in terrible places etc.
    I'm having a hard time getting a straight answer out of anyone as to whats going on. I've been told they pay but you better make sure your paperwork is submitted correctly.
    Was hoping someone here would have something to tell me.

5. Mark Oomkes

The one I was in wasn't pushed to the curbs either, and the main entrance\exit that is 3 lanes is only 2.

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Hopefully that is the quality of work that these nationals are stuck with. The wal green, cvs, and lowes stores here look like crap too.

7. EPM

EPM Member

I saw the same issue at the entrance. Also, single snowblower path cleared down the city walks. My customers would be livid if we worked like that. Sad thing is the numbers are actually decent on everything so it makes no sense to me why they wouldn't do at worst a half a**ed job.
    Maybe they're onto something, the less sq. footage of lots and walkways cleared must reduce your exposure to a potential slip and fall. :laughing:

8. Capt. Fred

Capt. Fred Member

We did a bank for them couple seasons back, took it against my better judgement but it was right in line with several other businesses on the rout so took a chance. Pay was not enough for scope of work and calling in service after finishing sometimes took longer than the plowing but it ultimately worked out. The pay was at least 45 days and more than once I had to call and remind them that I'm still alive, it was rare that I was able to talk to my manager it was always somebody under them. I will count my blessings that I was paid and move on from nationals, they scare me and don't like when I can't walk into an office if there is an issue so to each his own. Read the ferrindino thread that will fill you in on nationals

9. EPM

EPM Member

Oh, I know all too well about nationals. Been burnt a few times. Do a lot more homework on them now before saying yes. Some are better than others. 45 days isn't bad, some of my large commercial is 60-whenever I send a threatening letter.
    Unfortunately, sometimes they're a necessary evil. Not work to book an entire route off of but fill in between stops nicely so long as you get paid.

10. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

EPM
    You might be on to something ?
    " the less sq. footage of lots and walkways cleared must reduce your exposure to a potential slip and fall "
    Bob

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You should see my Walgreens.
    The company that is doing it, called me wanting to hire me clean there public walks.
    Storm was 12'' wet ground wasnt frozen 2 days later we get 2'' The 12'' pile was rock hard. He didn't clean it, when snow was soft
    Sidewalk has 2' of grass next to the road.
    I turn him down told him my skid wont fit on 48'' walk.
    Well he hired someone with A300 bobcat must had a 80'' bucket pretty much cut all sod and left ruts rip out some plants I mean it looks bad.

12. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

My guess this time of year one or two things happened.
    1. Contractor couldn't float long payment terms and operating costs and stopped doing it/ went under.
    2. They weren't paying and guy realized he shouldnt have done it and bailed.
    In my opinion bid requests this time of year are a big red flag without good reason. I would trust your gut personally.

13. R1lukasz

R1lukasz Member
    from Chicago

the other day I was just passing by my local Walgreens when a lady in 1/2 ton pickup truck filled with salt in bed (no salter) was just shoveling salt in the lot , I was like wtf?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  14. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Don't look, run and don't look back,avoid the doom!

15. EPM

EPM Member

I ended up passing because, "USM will not modify their contract for anyone."
    I only deleted the sections about not being obligated to pay me, not being able to place a Lein on the property, they're not obligated to collect debt from their client and where I have to sue them at. They weren't having it. Told them I'd need a payment bond then, still no. So it was time to prsport.....
    A friend ended up taking them on, hope he sees his money.

16. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You'll know when he hits you up for twenty bucks for fuel and a 50lb bag of salt

17. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

For every 1 contractor you find that does business with usm. all fine no problems. you will find 100 that had big big issues with them! Their contract was posted here on plowsite a few years ago. After reading it, I thought, who would sign this?

18. EPM

EPM Member

As I said, didn't sign it because they wouldn't modify it.

19. Mark Oomkes

Because if they modify it for you, they would have to start modifying it for everyone who has a brain.

20. EPM

EPM Member

They seemed pretty hard up so I thought I had a chance. Turns out they'd rather leave a site unserviced than being obligated to pay a contractor. Thumbs Up