1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

USM & Home Depot Are At It Again!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John143, Sep 21, 2012.

1. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

So today I got an email from the fine folks at USM :rolleyes: For some reason I thought they lost the Home depots? This email is alittle different then the ones they normally send me. In the past they would give me a list of the contracts up for bid and the price they are willing to pay. :laughing: But what really gets me is just in the list of Home Depots in PA, I counted over 40 some stores. Who in there right mind is even considering biding on these stores? :eek:

Now unless USM has changed their ways from the first and last time we did a job for them 4 years ago. I can't understand who could run any kind of plowing company in the dead middle of the winter and wait over 2 months to get their first payment from them? And THATS if your lucky!

We did a small lot for them 4 years ago. Are first payment was in March, and our last payment was in July!! I myself must of had 40 + hours fighting with them people over the phone about "compliance issues" they came up with anything and everything so they didnt have to pay us.

So I guess my question would be. Has USM changed their ways? Are you guys bidding on these home Depots? Is USM paying you guys on time? I would love to get myself setup with a home depot this year. But I'm not even going to chance putting in a bid if USM is up to there old tricks. :confused:
  2. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

I've said it many times...
    If you are doing the paperwork correct, you will see your check 30-45 days....

Pictures, documenting is a requirement for usm... if you can't do it... don't plow for them.

we get paid on time.

i only take there accounts that are grouped together in town, that makes me turn a profit....
    HAULING is where the money is at for them... not the season bid
  3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Yes the hauling numbers look good on the contract until they tell you not to haul any. Our contract said mandatory hauing after so many parking spots were full and guess what? We were told not too haul it or we would not get paid. Bunch of lowlifes that play games on contractors dimes.Yeah and tell them they broke the contract and see how that works for you.
  4. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

to the op, you said i would love to get set up at a home depot .......why???

if you are not going to make any money, deal with a boat load of hassles....

like in the movie :vegas vacation" why don't you give me half your money now, we will go outside and i will kick you in the nuts and we will call it a day...
    now if you can wait for your money and make a profit, go for it.. i would rather do 10 small places get paid on time instead of one big place and wait for my money....just saying....

BTW i always wondered if everyone bid 2x what USM or any national would want to pay what they would do???
  5. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

The main reason is we are going to have a loader right across the street from my area Home Depot. And of course I am in the biz to make money. However, after last years lack of snow and this years lack of customers ready to sign up for a seasonal account I'm weighting out all of my options. I have not only new but old customers calling and looking for only per-push prices! I would at-least like to keep the bills paid this winter if it doesn't snow again. payup
  6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Check your email they sent another email tonight for United states post office locations across PA. Now why in the heck would they handle post offices, imagine if they didn't pay, I don't think Mr Obama would be to happy.

7. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Yes I got the email. Funny thing too... The one post office up for bids is the one we use for our P.O. box. The price they are willing to pay isnt half bad because it's a very small lot. Hell I'm up there every day anyway... Will have to see what happens.
  8. hotshot4819

I love how all the ANTI USM people COME on here to ***** about how they don't pay....

If you think about it, the amount of locations that usm has, if they didn't PAY EVERYONE, there would be a lot more complaining on here...

Maybe the ones complaining can't do the paperwork correctly. Or manage to take a photo here and there...

Its 2012. if you can't snap a photo. email it. and fill out paperwork. then get another career..

NOW... am i saying they paying rate for them is correct.... NO.... but if you can fit some of there accounts in your route, it can be profitable...

AND to the guy that said snow hauling wasn't profitable for them.... your crazy.... I've honestly made 3 grand in 2 hours off them multiple times a year for the last 4 years....
  9. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

WOW!! I must be in the wrong business then. I should start advertising for snow hauling instead of snow plowing. Thumbs Up
  10. Triton Snow Professionals

Triton Snow Professionals Banned
    from McHenry

USM, Ferrandino and Son, and all the others are all alike. They hold your money and search for ways to not pay their contractors.
  11. hotshot4819

Hauling snow is directly related to plowing
    If you taking on commercial accounts you should beable to get this service .
    Even if you sub yhr hauling , you should beable to
    Make a good profit .
  12. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

13. westhigh

westhigh Junior Member

I worked for USM for 10 years. I am always on top of my paper work and we have been plowing since 1957. Last winter, I had to give up 12 of my locations that we have serviced. They have always tried to cheat me out of money. But now when you see how they lock you into their contarct and insurance. ( You know what I mean if you had any bogus slip and fall cliams with them) You have to be careful. I have 27 trucks and if I have to waste 10 minutes taking pictures,calling into their IVR and logging their conformation numbers to the pictures within 15 minutes of calling them in, ( read the contracts) or risk non payment. I am not plowing snow for them!! Do the math 10 minutes x 12 locations X 3 plows on a small storm I would waste over 6 hours. I pay my employees to plow snow and control ice not take pictures but I did make money with them in the past. Now you have to know when to say good-bye.Not all Nationals are bad but they make at least 30% of the money and we do all the work. Sorry for the long post.
  14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Can a leopard change its spots?

A zebra its stripes?
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

a snake shed it's skin?

a crab change it's shell?

a caterpillar become a butterfly?

2 wrongs make a right?

a horse be made to drink?

you do the hokey poky?

you shake it all about?

Nationals can be very hard to deal with. they require specific paperwork and have some unreasonable terms. There are a lot of scams that they are not part of that are perpetrated in their name. One should be careful to understand the terms of their contracts, the level of service, monetary and legally liability, be well insured and be willing to accept the increased level of reporting, multiple layers on management and be capable of providing only the level of service the National contract pays for and not the level of service the local manager wants.
  16. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Can't forget BFS, gotta add them to the don't pay their contractors list.
  17. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

*Logic would say that they would have no contractors to hire if they don't pay them. So how are they still in business?
  18. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Can I ask a question this may sound stupid but if the national guys don't pay right why not cut them off and go bid on the properties yourself and make all the money. maybe you can pickup four or five home depots I know well maybe its a headache but it seems like more of a headache dealing with nationals .
  19. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Because there's an *** for every seat. There's always someone who thinks he's getting a good deal, when many others obviously see he's getting ripped off.
  20. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

Originally Posted by Wilnip
    *Logic would say that they would have no contractors to hire if they don't pay them. So how are they still in business?

Because there's an *** for every seat. There's always someone who thinks he's getting a good deal, when many others obviously see he's getting ripped off.

I believe he is being sarcastic! I've worked with most of them all and the Nationals are no different than working with the local property owner or the manager of the retail store directly.

You decide up front if you will or can do what's required. If you take the contract and can't do or won't do what the required procedures are then you won't get paid. Simple!

If you only plow half the lot or only do half what the local owner wants, I doubt you will get paid either!