1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

USM contractor network

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ppandr, Oct 4, 2009.

1. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Right, wrong, etc. USM (or other brokers) is here for today.....

As individual companies we do not have resources to force them to uphold their contract terms. Why not form a network or loose association of companies that are contracted by them. This way when they hit the 60-90 day mark there is an established group to go after them. You will have no trouble finding counsel to support you as a large group.

There is no way they can survive a harsh winter and they will fold in early spring just like many of the other established financial institutions this year leaving us with debt.

2. Bigsnowny

Bigsnowny Member

Where do I sign up? Your right a large group of contractors that stick together could take down USM and the others.

3. big acres

big acres Senior Member

You could call it the "Winter Service Provider Collections Alliance"... and yes, with big numbers you would have collections companies beating down your door to have you as a client.

I would first be curious to see if anyone has actually had a lawyer review their contract to see if they have the right to short pay... if it is in there and you signed, then shame on ya'.

Here is a link to a closed thread about forming an alliance... got pretty hot.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=50759&highlight=National+Contractors?

cut-n-paste

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like a good idea to me... I know some of these companies are rough and throw the BS around like no tomorrow.

at the very least, it would help us all on a broadcast email list or something about the stories we get when they dont pay.

Contractor A is told some BS story on 12/30/09, then similar story to contractor B and so on.

At least they'd all know that say usm isnt paying out on time and what to expect and that its not a fluke like "not being suddenly in compliance" on payday lol. I swear we've mailed them forms monthly, and theyre always holding your massive checks until you "comply" and then they can release them.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why even screw with them?

Has no one ever heard the old saying "Play with fire and you're going to get burned"?

6. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Good point Mark. Let these big sites keep all the low-dollar guys busy and away from our sites!

7. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I personally would not work for any of them. Yes there are scumbag lowballers BUT some guys here don't have an option in this economy and thats who ends up getting hurt in the end.

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Im all about networking and stuff aswell.

I can name two FM companies that we have done work for in the past, and I'll be honerst with all of you guys, if that guy called today with accounts, I would take them in a hart beat, as long at there prices were with in reason.

Its been a few years since we have done anything for them, but I wouldn't think twice about doing it again.

Now USM, I dont know that I would even really think about working for them.

9. Mark Oomkes

Yes, and they will still get screwed by this company, it's been said over and over and over and over again at this site.

Do a search, the first reference (that I can remember) to USM is probably 6 years ago pulling the exact stunt that most of these guys are still complaining about. It's from a member CMerland. He's from Jersey, I know him personally and know he wouldn't be lying about it.

How is getting strung out 60-90, losing 4% minimum, deducting for damages, not getting paid because paperwork is correct or one period is missing, or on and on an on going to help the guys that need that work the most?

Those are the ones that are hurting.

Come on, let's seriously think about this. This has been going on for 6-7 or more years. And now all of a sudden because a bunch of guys on PS are getting together you really think you're going to change their MO?

10. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

Dont see SIMA doing anything to help out the indapendent ..........

11. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Marks right its not going to change... there are to many new guys that think this is the way to get big fast!

12. Mark Oomkes

Shoot, they didn't even do anything to the inventor of snow, like taking away his CSP designation after he started this mess of treating services as a commodity, I wouldn't expect much more of them in regards to this.

13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

He proudly puts the alphabet soup behind his name in his monthly editorial in the Snow magazine! :nod:

14. GLLLC

GLLLC Member
    from CT

I cannot understand what is wrong with some of you people. I have been in business 11 yrs and have been burned by a hand full of people. I cannot understand the concept of wanting to work for somebody who is notorious for bad business. Why do you need a USM contractor network? SO theres more people that get screwed and can say we've been screwed together? Theres plenty of asphault out there they are not involved in. Go find it, don't you want to sleep at night knowing your getting paid and not have to play games getting it?

15. JOEC

JOEC Member

Don't work for USM. Thats it. You will lose and so does the industry.:gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

16. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

DITTO..................I guess these guys don't get it.

17. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

uh oh here we go again

18. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Work for them, dont work for them........ maybe they have reinvented themselves and plan on paying everyone at 45 days! :) maybe not.

But without USM what would everyone b!tch about.

I have never worked for USM, i have worked for other FM groups and had great success. Yes there is more paper work, yes its usually 60 -75 days pay, and yes it usually ment a few extra phone calls but ive always been payed. As long as all your customers are not 60-90 day payers you should be fine.

Call me crazy, we just faxed over quotes to a customer from last year that didnt make there final payment till the end of july! and we really want there business again this year!

Sometimes you have to work with your customers, occupancy is down and there stuck paying more % of CAM charge on less income. (funny thing is i bet they still bid the sites out before signing with us)

19. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

best thing is if you don't work for them it leaves them to hire the fly by night idiots out their that don't know how or what they are doing and when they don't do the work USM will not look good and not get paid or resigned and businesses will learn the hard way to use local companies invested in the community and are reliable.

20. Mark Oomkes

Hijack warning!!!

Talking about that, do you understand what the heck his last article about bidding was about?

I read it twice and still have no idea what point he is attempting to make.

Hey there, someone gets it.