1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

USM and Walmart go separate way.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nliput, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nliput

nliput Member

I just got off the phone with my USM acct. manager and the non complete is no longer in place because Walmart requested the ability to work with there existing contractor. They also said Walmart will be creating there own central snow removal management team and it will most likely continue the way it was but interal within Walmart.I hope the best for all those usm employees who lost there jobs this week.

2. EZSWEEP

EZSWEEP Member
    from NJ

I dont feel sorry for them . what about all the employees,other contractors didnt hire because of them and how they have driven the prices down. I wish them the same as they have done for others.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

This will be a limited thing- I know how Walmart operates everything... give it a couple of years and we'll be hearing stories of how bad Walmart's relations and contracts are with contractors.

4. rsweeper

rsweeper Member

You better get it in writing that the non compete clause is not in place anymore. USM will be looking to do what they can to get as much money as they can after losing that account. People should not have signed there stupid contract to begin with. Sure glad we didnt sign it. We dont have any worries at all about starting back with Walmart, We told USM to shove that contract to begin with.

5. EZSWEEP

EZSWEEP Member
    from NJ

Good bye Usm and to the there lowballing prices. See you next year under the name Pms

6. Washburnex

Washburnex Junior Member

usm was one hell of a b**** to work for, ill be glad to work directly through walmart

7. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

How did they lowball?

8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Lets see.....by bidding things so low that the only way for them to make a profit was to make the subcontractors sign a rediculous contract that allowed them to find any reason not to pay......

9. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

Happy to see them go. Hope it catches on. Hope too see some recovery. Oh, Looky there its SNOWING.

10. EZSWEEP

EZSWEEP Member
    from NJ

If you have to ask you need to look in the mirror and say am I dope.

11. Washburnex

Washburnex Junior Member

in my area the deff low balled, i fought and got a price closer to what i wanted, but usm told walmart in the summer they could get contractors to plow the walmarts for a said price, all the same price (in my area at least) and when they found out they couldn't get anyone to plow it for that price, then they came back at me with some counter offers, it was an ordeal but it was sad really, the money they were offering, sure ill plow it for that price, but your gonna sacrifice some service, one pickup and some sand, lol

12. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

If you wont provide good service at a given price, why waste your time? This attitude brings the industry down. Do a job, do it well.

13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

You get what you pay for Matt.... Pay well and you'll get a good job like I've said all along with our conversations.

14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Thats the Truth....It showed on the Many Wal-mart lots in this area...

15. Washburnex

Washburnex Junior Member

i wasn't saying thats what i did, if you read what you quoted me on i said " i fought and got a price closer to what i wanted" i wont do a job if i cant do it well, thats why we get calls for work, our quality, word of mouth, i spend very little in advertising, i was simply saying thats what will happen with low balling, sure you'll get someone to do it, but you wont get the service that comes with the higher prices

and i dont blame walmart for looking for a management company, they needed change, im deff not saying usm or any management company was the answer, but ive herd first hand of many walmart managers getting kick backs from the contracts if they were giving the contract, sure, give me the job for this ridiculous amount of money and ill give you 10,000 for example, like i said im not saying usm was the answer, but i believe something had to be done

16. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

I whole-heartedly agree with both comments.

From the standpoint of my business, if the price doesn't work, I don't lower my standards just to add the revenue.

Every impression on the street needs to be a good one for your company.

17. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

It seems a majority of their employees are minorities. I wonder how much government money they're getting for that.

18. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

It sucks but I see it happen ALL the time, Ive never done it. But have lost a good bit of work because it goes on, not just @ Walmart but Im sure with property managers as well, think about it, they take your numbers, put them onto a spread sheet, the clients rarely see the actual quote. Its called GREED, I dont know what retail store managers make, but I know property managers dont make a ton, & for the BS they put up with, late night meetings, etc. I know of one apartment complex where the snow contractor is a painting company, he does all the painting & snow work...his realitive is a director at the company that ownes the complex.

19. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Wash,
    USM contacted my company to plow the one your plowing..... I asked them to email me their contract..... I friggin laughed at it... on top of the price they wanted me to do it for.... hopefully you were able to change some wording in that contract and neg a better price..... too much liabliity... the price they wanted us to do it for barely covered salt and fuel if you truely went by the sow.... hopefully you were able to neg better then we were....
    Thing is now all the contractors know about usm leaving and will be bidding on wally worlds so pricing will still be lower then what it should be.....

20. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Hopefully Pricing will rise......But, im not holding my Breath...There will always be a contractor that can reinvent the wheel.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.