1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

USM and National guys

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grassguy123, Feb 27, 2011.

1. grassguy123

grassguy123 Junior Member
    from NJ

Does anyone know how much these guys mark up the pricing. What do they make. We do a couple jobs for them and they pay us pretty good. I cant imagine them making alot of money. I mean i know they have ALOT of work, but ALOT of liability too.
  2. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I guess I have to ask, what liability? I can assume you have read the contract you signed with them. Exactly what liabilities do you see them responsible for? Your the one on the hook. Even if they are unable to collect, you are going to eat it. What damage liability do they accept. Do you really think they bid the properties, or do they use bids and then mark them up?

Don't get me wrong, I sure it is a pain working with contractors and with the National chains and property management companies. But when it come to risk-its all yours.

With all that said-it must work!
  3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

The mark up is anywhere from 15%-60%. I know what Walmart was paying this year. I heard they will be going back to the store managers making the call next year.
  4. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

You must work cheap if you think your making alot.
  5. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

Asking to lower bill, Had to lol

WTF? Do people think we are not worth what we do? We have had record breaking snowfall in our area I have had a appt complex that we have stacked snow andcompletly run out of room and called me to haul snow out, I told them what it will be per hr and it was approved by the main office,NOW the bill comes in and they call me wanting me to drop the price and toi hook them up,I said yes I would work with them but they have not even paid their Dec bill yet lmmfao. How do people have the balls to ask me to lower their bill when they are not even paying their bill in the 1st place? Ok im done:cry:
  6. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

usm is making a killing off the walmart here. the contract is a seasonal contract ( set price for the season) it states 1 push as needed in 24 hours. now if it keeps snowing usm bills walmart for the time called back but the contractor dont see a dime of this. the walmart here will end up spending about 30% more this season then last.
  7. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I was once willing to work for them. Did it for 4 years,and was happy to have the work. I was getting a decent price for the lot I serviced. They called it seemed like non stop during the snow seasons. Sent me to service the account when it was bare blacktop,more than once. Then they bailed on me, didn't pay me for half of last year,now I have filed chapter 7 bankruptcy. I would NEVER work for them again. It only takes them screwing you,ONE TIME, to totally change your life.
  8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

What did your lawyer say about them not paying you? You did get a lawyer, right?
  9. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

makes me wonder if grassguy was as foolish as i was, and didn't have atty review contract...and NOT know you'd get backcharged $4500 per slip and fall for "paperwork"...that you hold USM, the store, and even the guy setting up the hidden cam in the women's changing room harmless in case of an incident totally unrelated to the performance of your duties. and that you'd pay for their legal costs should they arise. ..that you agree that you can't sue them in your own state, but must meet before their arbitration board IN pennsylvania...but that's another story.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

All I can say is . If you work for them you give them more and more power.
  11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Don't work for them and they will go away. If they owe you money at least let Wal-mart know how they treat their sub contractors. You might not be able to go after Wal Mart but you could at least let them know whats going on. I spoke to one of the assistant managers of our local Wal Mart, old high school buddy of mine. i don't work for management companies or Wal MArt, never have. I was telling him all the horror stories about these management companies and he has said that its really getting around Wal Mart, how these management companies treats their subs. He was saying that they had a big problem with the original plow company who was plowing his store this year, the guy quit showing up. He didn't know the whole details but the management compnay brought on another contractor that plowed another Wal Mart store to finish out the season.
  12. northernsweeper

Ya I had an attorney..2 actually. One here in Minnesota and one in New Jersey. They finally did have to pay me, a couple weeks ago, but it was to late. By not being paid the last three months of last year, I still had the expenses of maintaining the lot. Then when sweep season came, I didn't have money for sweeper parts or repairs, so I lost sweep income. Then the national signed me to do the store this year, and begged me for weeks to take the local wally world. I told them absolutely not. Then they cancelled any contracts with me on October 31st. To late to sign anyone else for the season. Ya, its been swell.
  13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Sorry to hear that hope things turn around for you. i don't know how these guys get away with treating people the way they do.
  14. northernsweeper

I should add, all the trouble getting paid. When they finally did pay, it didn't matter anymore. The check also goes to the bankruptcy trustee. NICE..You who are working for them...Enjoy it while it lasts...Me? I wouldn't
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011
  15. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Like the mods have said before. If everyone keeps things civil, and professional they will keep the threads up. So being as professional and civil as I can be when it comes to this topic. I will say if your desperate enough to work for a national, then you have to be prepared for the dissapointment of your actions. I just sit back and laugh everytime I see another thread about u know who and how they didn't pay me. I don't mean to make light of anyones problems or business decesions, but the writing is on the wall here people. If you average out the good comments, vs the bad comments it's like 10 bad to 1 good. Why would anyone risk a bad business decesion againts those odds?
  16. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

thanks for noticing what we have tried saying MANY times
  17. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

I know a guy who did the home depot near me fore 20,000 for the year. He told me he asked the manger what they paid USM on their final walk thru...56,000. lol They held his last 3 checks, something with a slip and fall.

I dont think walmart cares how USM treats the subs, they have been in multiple lawsuits with employee related claims, if they dont care about the employees then who cares about the subs.

I dont think they will ever go away, everyone dreams of plowing a walmart or home depot, wether they have a 410 or an s10 lol.

EZSWEEP Member
    from NJ

I would rather watch paint dry then work for Usm ,they sent me a email for sweeping that they awarded me 6 sites and 3 for landscaping. And then called me and told me that i had adjust price ,I raised all my price on them by 35% from what Walmart was paying .:mechanic: We will survive fine with out them and probably have less stress. I cant imagine signing there contract. And why would somebody work for them ? It`s like selling your soul to the devil. Anyone interested in going in on my Lawsuit for unethical trade practices against usm and walmart. How they determine what they are willing to pay and the monopoly that they are creating is not right. Just look what has happen in the last 5 years with Usm and the business`s they have destroyed. Don't be afraid to tell your friends and family how unethical Walmart has become. I can care less if I work for Walmart again.Boycott them like they are doing to us .
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  19. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

just two comments,

My lawyer looked at the USM contract for me and said that the only people signing that mess has not had a real lawyer look at it, which is sad. They(everyone involved but you) have zero liability, you have 100%. Sound good to you? Even if they make a mistake?

Money wise you are getting 30-60% of their contract price, so no they are not paying you well. 100% of the companies I know that worked for them were screwed....eventually .
  20. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

they probably wont go away anytime soon , as fast as one contractor gets burned , another will jump at the chance to do the work , for example a guy that subs with 2 trucks wanting to move up to the big time will jump right on board just because he is getting 20 dollars an hour more , he will hire a few buddies and the cycle starts all over again