1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using your spreader spreading materials other than sand and salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by P.L., Dec 24, 2011.

1. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

With the lack of snow I was thinking of other ways to put my equipment to use. Has anyone tried to used there spreader to load mulch or loom in to wheel barrows? Or I was thinking of using a utv spreader as a topdresser.
  2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

? love to hear if people have. Same idea as a mulch mule, just a heck of a lot cheaper.
  3. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

I put tootsie rolls in my walk behind snow ex for a farm show. Spread them quite well!
  4. bswalks

bswalks Member

I have used my old hi-way to spread loam. I top dressed a 30k sq. ft
    lawn in a few hours. Even using sandy loam, I needed 2 men in the dump
    body, it kept tunneling out.
  5. It works well for mulch if you can take the spinner off. It fluffs the mulch very well.
  6. kagenewengland

kagenewengland Senior Member

from experience 3/4 stone is a bad idea
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  7. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

We use Sno-Way V-Boxes and early in the spring we use them for mulch. The chute is removable on the spreaders of course. Sno-Way actually sells the fact that it can be used all year round. We only use them for smaller jobs though right after winter. When we finish those we put them up for summer. Its a little faster on some jobs. The bigger jobs i really think 3 guys with wheelbarrows and a guy in the truck shoveling is faster.