1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using same home in firewall for plow and spreader cables?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by justgeorge, Nov 28, 2011.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

I've been plowing for 3 years now I'm installing a Salt Dogg spreader in my 07 2500HD. I do not have the plow prep package so no big predrilled grommit. The plug to the spreader controller is going to need a 1.75 or 2" hole in the firewall, the cables of course are much smaller than that. The best place I can find for a hole that big already has my plow cable running thru it. My thought is to take that cable out and redrill the hole to 2", and use the same hole for both the plow and the salt spreader cables.

Is there any reason not to do that? Heading down to the auto parts store to see what they have for firewall grommets so I'll use a rubber grommet around the hole then silicone to fill in the gaps around the two cables. Actually I think the spreader has a second smaller cable too that could use that same hole.

Thanks.

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

what about a few smaller holes instead??

3. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

Because the biggest hole for the spreader needs to be close to 2", and the best place for that hole is where I already have the plow cable. But the shroud is only about an 1", it just has to be a big hold to let the plug get thru. So if I have that big a hole already any reason not to run them all thru the same hole?

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

No problem, make the hole bigger and run them through it. We're not talking fiber optics here, just 12v plow and spreader wiring. Find a big grommet to protect the wires from rubbing through, but you don't need to silicone them in.

5. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

As it turned out I couldn't get a hole saw anywhere near the existing hole. I finally ended up cutting into the insulation on the engine side of the firewall and found the perfect spot for a new hole, it's probably the same hole that would have been used for the factory plow prep package hole. Flat, a little over 2" round, and easy to get a hole saw to it and lots of room on the cab side not going to hit anything. After the hole saw went thru the firewall I kept pushing it lightly and it made a nice round hole in the insulation on the inside too.