1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

using only liquid

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by making a living, Nov 2, 2008.

1. making a living

making a living Junior Member

Hey guys thinking about switching completely over to calcium liquid
    does any one do this?
    How does it work for you?

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

as JD say's "it's just another tool in youre toolbox" it wont replace salt 100%

do a search (picture attached) and what Q's don't get answered, just come back and we'll try to answer

PJ

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Not a good idea! Unless you drive tanker trucks around at a rate of 400 gallons per acre! LOL!:D:jester:
    Right PJ!:nod:

We had a tank in the back of a dump truck and ended up just poping the cap off the bottom of the tank and driving like crazy in one lot! It worked good at a rate of 300 gallons per acre! It was funny!:D

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

And you can cancel the lot sweeping cos it was just washed down

5. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I know! That lot sure was the cleanest lot around!

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

oooops, because of over application was the lot slippery?

7. making a living

hey guys i hear alot of yes and no's on this i am going to give it a shot with the salt prices so high this year it can't hurt to try it
    where are you guys from

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

what do you mean "give it a shot"?

if youre asking this question you obviously don't have any experiance, and with no experiance why wouldnt you take our advice?....it sounds to me like you may get sued before spring come's

you say that youre hearing a lot of yes's and no's......where is the yes it will work:confused:

do you even have the equipment?

sound's to me like you already had youre mind made up and just wanted someone to agree with you

pj

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe it's just me PJ, but you have a yellow smudge on your computer. xysport

10. making a living

yes we have the equipment we also have 3 salt spreaders on 3 dump trucks
    you make it sound like i plow my grandmas driveway
    i was just asking what every one thought about the idea
    getting sued ok how we are going to give it a shot meaning try it and see what happens
    i see you live in misery i kno0w are weather is different up her in the north
    so what might not work for you might work for others in different parts of the country
    like i wouldnt give advice to someone who gets 300 inchs a year

11. blmland

blmland Junior Member

It won't replace salting and sanding after the storm, but it will make clean up faster and easier and you will need about 1/3 less materials after you plow. You might want to think about pre-treating your road salt and sand with chlorides. Pre-treated road salt can be applied before a storm and work almost as well as liquids. Liquids do cost a little more and require different handling and strategies when applying. We generally don't spray an entire lot. We spray the main traffic areas and let the cars carry the rest around. Most businesses are trying to eliminate the salt and sand at the entrances and liquids do work well in these circumstances. be careful with mag. chloride application rates. Especially if you use in high pedestrain traffic areas. Use too much and it will act like ice.

12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I think im going to go all liquid also. I'll take one of them 275 gallon totes, drive to the site that needs treating, hammer three nail holes in the tot and start driving in circles till its all gone.

Do you guy think i'll be ok

13. Leisure Time LC

Leisure Time LC Senior Member

I am switching to all liquids this year. I am not giving the salt crooks all that money for salt. I have invested in the tank and there is not going to be a shortage of product all season long.

14. Mark Oomkes

I'm also planning on using liquids exclusively at some of my accounts. Not sure exactly what liquid or at what rates, but I intend to make something work.

15. jfjcontracting

jfjcontracting Member

I have been using liquids for the past year and have found that you still need to use salt. It does help in many ways but like stated above , its a nother tool in the tool belt , It helps clean up go faster, Pre treating is also good, applying to heavy traffica areas are good. I have found the best to pre treat the salt with liquids as you are putting the salt down, You use way less salt it works better and under more extreme temperatures and most importantly it saves money. I spray directly on the pavement, I pre treat , I pre salt , and i pre treat my salt, Expirment with some of these things first before you jump head first with just liquids because i think you will be pulling your hair out if you are going to try liquids only.

16. Mark Oomkes

I said it someplace, but I have used liquids for de-icing on a limited basis and with excellent results. I just hope to find a chemical blend that will give me the same results in most conditions, not necessarily all.

17. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

HAHAHA, damn thats funny!!! Hillbilly salting 101.

18. White Baron

White Baron Junior Member
    from detroit

I have switched to liquids this year also. Very excited about this year.