1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

using/not using shoes on the plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by superdog1, Nov 3, 2011.

1. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I know why shoes are put on plows for the most part. It helps extend the blade life and also keeps the cutting edge just a little bit off of the ground which stops it from catching every little lip or crack on the pavement. With that being said, I know that some guys take them off, as they feel it does a nicer job with the cutting edge right down on the pavement.

I have always plowed with shoes on. What are your thoughts or feelings about running the plow with them off?:confused:
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Take them off ,like a stripper does on a Saturday night.
  3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

They're an option on most plows now, take them off!
  4. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I keep them on until the ground is good and fozen. This way it wont tear up any grass :D After the ground is frozen, they come off
  5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Don't most strippers leave there shoes on? Or high heels? Not that I've ever been in one of those places, but the floors and stages aren't the cleanest out there!;)
  6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I've never used them on my blades. It's cheaper to buy new cutting edges than it is to throw enough salt down to melt what went under the blade.
  7. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

i put them on to do a gravel lot for a guy that i do 4 strip mall cutting edge are to cut not ride
  8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

No shoes here. Only gravel I have to deal with is in front of my garage out back and I just leave the plow up an inch or two for that.
  9. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I leave mine on but I got out voted so far.
  10. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Been Shoeless For 16 years and counting.
    Never use my shoes. Sold 2 of them to my neighbor for use on his paddle boat!

They do make good anchors

Barefoot here

ROAD-SNAKES Member

They make good mudders for perch fishing :)
  13. tguenthardt

tguenthardt Junior Member

I take them off first thing, I put a pipe on my cutting edge until the ground is frozen on those gravel driveways, then take it off to plow paved driveways and parking lots.Once everything is frozen I run just the cutting edge. Just my two cents.
  14. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

The company I bought my plow from go shoeless.
    I plan on picking up a pair of aftermarkets just to have for that gravel drive.... or mine.

My question is what about the wear bars that Hiniker sells?
    Do they save on the cutting edge? or waste of money?

With only 2 plows so far this season I'm seeing a lot of wear on the cutting edge.
  15. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Shoes on for my Boss 9-2 er It's ALL in the proper adjustment-simple.The original 10 year old cutting edges just came off at the end of last Winter only because I wanted the new curved formed ones to get rid of my center hockey puck. My lots get as scraped clean as ones without shoes.And yes Pushin 2 please,strippers do keep their 6-8'' heels on,everything else of course comes off--as it should.:)
  16. JFizzle

JFizzle Junior Member

Do you mean you cut a notch the length of the pipe and slip it on over the cutting edge? Can you post a pic? I really need something to keep my blade from catching so much.
  17. tguenthardt

tguenthardt Junior Member

I do not have a picture. But all I do for my plows is take a piece of black pipe you can get at home depot or any store like that. Cut it the length of your plow. Measure the width of your cutting edge and cut just a little bit wider down the length of the pipe in a straight line. You can use a hand grinder, tourch or plasma cutter is the best. Once you slide it over your cutting edge you can weld on two tabs. One on each side to secure it using the cutting edge bolts. You can also weld tabs on the end of the pipe and drill a hole on each side and pin it to the side of the plow. I have made a few for friends and some just put a small weld on it to the cutting edge. I like the pin idea better as it is easy on and off. I think I use 1 inch pipe, or 1.5 pipe.
  18. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

going to try some feet this year for plow and see how it dose.
  19. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

When i bought my plow the shoes were worn badly. So i took them off. Never have ran with them again.
  20. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I only run them on gravel until the ground is frozen, then it's all shoeless.