1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using liquid to dissolve clumps.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by born2farm, Feb 22, 2015.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

We have about 15 ton in the back of our salt bin that is froZen up pretty solid. We were tossing around the idea of spraying some liquid calcium on it to try and break it down into a usable salt. Anyone tried this? Worried we might just make things worse
  2. turn54

turn54 Senior Member

I have access to 32% lcc and use it to help with the clumping. I do not recommend treating your pile with it, because it will refreeze. I just treat the load (about 10gal/ton) after I put it in the truck. I have left it in the truck outside with 10 degree temps overnight and it still spread fine the next day. But know after several days will refreeze requiring more liquid to get it "movable" again. I run hydraulic under tailgate units, so I'm not sure if you have a v-box, you'll have the same luck with spreading.
  3. Digger63

Digger63 Member

If you have liquid calcium chloride do not spray on the pile. If you ever looked at the deicers on the market ( magic, clearlane, etc) you would see most are mixed with mag chloride instead of calcium chloride. Calcium chloride is used as a prewetting agent and for enhancement of liquid anti icing mixtures. if mixed with salt and stockpiled it has a tendency to become solid. same as mixing too much of it with salt brine creates a very thick solution over a brief period of time.