1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using hot water to melt snow rather than plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by classiclawncare, Feb 19, 2011.

1. classiclawncare

classiclawncare Senior Member

I've always wondered is there a way to use a spray rig, either a truck or tractor to drive over a lot and spray hot water over the snow to melt it rather than having to plow it?

I know in most cases it'd re-freeze and need to me salted, but driving over the lot one time spraying hot water on the snow seems like it would be faster than plowing a lot.

Does anyone do this, or can it be done?

Id assume on a lot covered with a ft of snow it may not work but 2, 4 or 6 inches it should be able to go right through it.

I think it sounds like a good idea.

Any imput?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It would be cheaper and safer to plow it. Can you imagine the amount of energy it would take to heat up that much water? A snow meter is the same principal and they do have self loading ones that drive down the city streets picking up windrows. A semi tanker truck follows it.

3. classiclawncare

classiclawncare Senior Member

I have a large lot that takes say 3 hours to plow with a skid steer with an 8ft pusher box, If I had the right spraying unit I would think itd be faster to drive over th lot once spraying hot water. Also itd be less wear n tear.

There has to be a decent set-up out there that does this.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Less wear and tear, a skid with a box is about the least you'll get. You try it and report back your findings.

5. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Could you just imagine the amount of fuel you would burn? Not to mention if the ground is cold enough for snow to stick, it's certainly cold enough to create a nice ice skating rink by the time you get to the other side of the lot. I've never seen a zamboni outside of a skating rink before.

6. leon

leon Senior Member

snow melter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont want to burst your bubble but you would be infringing on my patent.

:blush2::waving:

7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

And there is your answer as to why not to try it!!!!

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I say try it, and please let us know the results.

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

10. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

apply plenty of salt every 2" snow fall and your done too ;)

11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It would cost way more money to melt the snow with hot water then it would to plow the lot. First you have to consider the equipment it would take. I am guessing a 3 hour lot is close to 3 acres. To melt 2 inches off of 3 acres would take a tremendous amount of water, so you would have to have a tanker truck of some sort. Then you would need a way to fill the truck, heat the water, keep the water hot enough to do it's job, plus drive to and from and apply the water. I 50 gallon water heater take about an hour to an hour and a half to heat the full 50 gallons, so to heat 10,000 gallons of water would have to take close to 10 hours with a burner unit that has the btu output of 20 times a water heater. So if a water heater is 60,000 btu this new super burner is going to be 1.2 million btu's. Now I am thinking 3 hours of plowing isn't such a bad idea.

12. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

take a glass of hot water outside and throw it in the air and see what happens

13. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Cold water Fusion ????????????????????????:yow!:payup:

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Ohhhhh Leon, don't leave us hangin buddy! What's brewin in that technical brain of yours??:redbounce

15. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

or you can get one of these air plane de-iceing machines
    i beleive they hold anoyut 5000 gallons of liquid and has a self contained heater.
    i used these a few times when i worked at newark airport deiceing planes.

Attached Files:

16. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Get one of the blowers NASCAR uses on the tracks. Even if it does not melt the snow it will blow it away.

Or head over to google http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en and look at some of the items there, see what is actually in production and guage from there.

Chad

17. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Ever been to a hockey rink? The Zamboni cuts the ice and lays down a layer of water, that water is Hot, somewhere around 90 deg. F. Reason behind that is it FREEZES quicker and also adheres well to the COLD surface, thus creating a solid sheet of ICE. Just my 2 cents, Matt

18. Dalmatian90

Dalmatian90 Junior Member

Takes 144 BTUs to melt a pound of ice.

There's around 135,000 to 140,000 BTUs per gallon of diesel.

Some we're talking in the ballpark of 1 gallon of diesel per 1,000# of snow to melt it, if you had darn near perfect efficiency which you won't.

Let's assume it's a wet and not fluffy 4", so figure 4# of snow per square foot.

Some one else above speculated you had 3 acres to plow, so let's go with that -- 131,000 s.f. in round numbers.

That's 524,000 pounds of snow / 1 gallon diesel per thousand pounds = 524 gallons of diesel

The second part of this is how much water will it take since you're not loading the snow into a hopper to melt.

1 BTU is one pound of liquid water raised or lowered one degree (the transition points to ice and steam take a lot more). 180º water chilled to 33º is 147 BTUs, so we're talking about a 1:1 ratio of pounds of hot water to pounds of snow needing melting.

Water weighs about 8# per gallon, so you're talking in addition to the 524 gallons of diesel, needing about 65,500 gallons of water.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  19. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

talk about making work for yourself...

drive around spraying hot water and by the time your done you'd have to salt the mess
    you just made

20. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

I use Brine/ CC Why would you use water?!!?!?!??!?!
    We use it for everything we cant plow!