1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using google earth to find SQFT

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Stinson Landscp, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

Any one use google earth to help find the SQFT? If so how? I can see the ruler icon just cant make it work.

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Click and drag. or on a laptop hold down your left button and move about on the pad.
  3. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

I have tried that. Guess I wasnt clear in my original post. Is there a way to make it follow the curve of the pavement? Looking to get the most accurate number possible before going to measure.

Received a call to bid on a property, but I am away on vacation. Just looking to get a head start on it.
  4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Just use the toolbar ruler... If your off by 100 sf so what.....whats that an extra $3 worth of salt?... Its all marginal if you bid it correctly

Good luck as i've tried to do what your attempting while on vacation...the wife killed me!....LOL
  5. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

thanks mick.
  6. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

Been doing the same thing on vacation. The wife hates it. But, when bids are do you have to get them done. She might cry now but when the moneys coming in she is a happy girl.
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I print the picture of the property and then I break it into sections. I then write down all of the measurements down on the paper. You can generally guesstamate pretty good on the curved places by adding a little to one side or subtracting. I bet on larger properties you are actually closer on sq footage then doing it by hand.
  8. bsmitty

bsmitty Member
    from Chicago

I have used it then gone out and measured it by hand. It is really accurate as long as you have a clear bird's eye view of the lot. I now trust it and it saves a lot of time.

9. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

thanks for the info guys! should make things easier.
  10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

You really can't trust what you see on google earth. Always visit the site. "Trusting" what you see leaves you open to submitting a foolishly high or low bid
  11. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

exactly how I do it too
  12. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

i am very familiar with this site. i still plan on going and measure it out.
  13. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

If you wan to follow contours you need to go to Goilawn or goisnow...... their measuring tools are much better than the google earth ones. But it's not free. I use google earth for every bid, then I visit every site. Google earth is really pretty good, but it's very possible that if the image is a year or two old there's something different.

Example, if you look at the image of my house, you'll see an excavator in the yard, and some obviously torn up turf and work going on, the work was done at least 3.5 years ago. Imagine what could change on a commercial lot in 3 years....They tag a date in lower corner of the image, but really better safe than sorry. It's hard to judge how far over tree cover is into a lot, how tight or time consuming loading docks may be, and countless other possible complications. Gotta have eyes on it before entering the bids.
  14. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I use it alot. Its not exact to the ft but it gets close. From there always measure on the highside of things and you should be fine.

JD Dave how do you print from google earth? I cant seem to print the images.
  15. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

i use the snipping tool and select the area I want and save it into my costing file.
    You find it in the accessories
  16. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I can't get the polygon measuring tool to show up...all I see is line and path???
  17. fsnowguy

fsnowguy Junior Member
    from usa

Goilawn orGoisnow is great. But, If you just want a quick and free idea of square footage try findyourlotsize.com. It's a good way to preview the property, I would still visit the property before bidding though.
  18. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

if its a new construction site or remodeling has been done in the last year google earth does not always show the most up to date site...just ran into that problem tonight....there was a site, measure from outterspace, that was better than google earth, but i can not find the site anymore. it allowed you to select 4 points and it gave you the square footage of the selected area, or sq ft of a triangle for non square lots.
  19. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

20. caitlyncllc

caitlyncllc Senior Member

That rocks. Me likey. I have been trying to figure out how to do this, and that is a great tool, at least to get the quote started with! Thanks dude.