1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using Fluid Film as undercoating for winter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by green frog, Oct 31, 2009.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Does anyone use fluid film to under coat their plow trucks before plow season? Im sure it does not last the whole season but must help. If you use it how many spray cans per truck? Or does anyone have a good oil based under coating place in WNY?
  2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

FF is great for this very application. I don't plow but use it on my personal vehicles. A couple of cans works just fine for my needs. No it will not stay on all winter long but with frequent use, (couple times a season) it penetrates the metal and still provides good protection.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You tell him Toby!
  4. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

I bring my trucks to rust check and for $150 - $200 they wash and prep and apply their soloution and its good for a year. After 2 years of running in the worst weather I have no rust issues. Our highways here get salted to death.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

FF the hell out of everything on the plow and under the truck. Doesn't cost that much and it works awesome
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have done this since my truck was new. I would say it stays on for a good part of the winter. Just getting ready to do it again.
  7. Fire Guy

Fire Guy Junior Member

I buy it by the gallon and use a spray gun to apply it. I use about half a gallon on my plow truck. I hit every nook and cranny. Lasts usually until spring then apply it again in October. It works great and I love it. It smells good too LOL.
  8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I use the bulk and a sprayer as well.......lasts all winter and works fantastic
  9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I do the same. I always clean the frame and suspension up first then if its an older model truck with rust already I will use a few cans of rustoleum and repaint everything then put the FF in a spray gun and spray everything down.

I have to wear a mask/respirator though because I always get sick with cold like syptoms afterwards if I don't.
  10. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Thanks for all the reply's and I'll use the mask idea. Well I have my sunday planned since it so friggin wet I cant do any work anyway.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

You can go to schmitt auto body and have rust stop oil sprayed on for 100.00 if your to busy to do it yourself.Stay away from ziebart...
  12. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Thanks GreenFrog for asking the question I was thinking.
  13. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

I buy it by the gallon can and use a cheap paint brush and slop it all over everything, it stays on the back of the plow through the whole season, don't waste it by trying to apply it to the front.
    I was on the FF website, it looks like theres different grades of the stuff, some says it lasts YEARS submerged in water. I was going to call them and ask if this is something I can get for my underbody.
    I'd love to apply it with a spray gun, but what kind of tip do I need that it will flow through?
  14. dmontgomery

search the web on "Schutz gun"......it is a cheap gun used with a compressor. works great with bulk FF
  15. Fire Guy

Fire Guy Junior Member

I'm not sure of the name of the gun. It's my father-in-laws stuff I just use it lol. I think he bought a kit with the gun and some quick connect tips with it from NAPA.
  16. dmontgomery

any undercoating gun will work......I paid $20 for mine
  17. dbduts

dbduts Member

where can I get ff around MA.I never used anything but this sounds good
  18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

19. dbduts

dbduts Member

Thanks I am going to give it a try.