1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using chevy cargo lamp switch for aux lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by quicknova, Jun 1, 2013.

1. quicknova

quicknova Member

2006 Chevy 2500hd duramax

I recently added 2 led flood lights to my backrack for backup lights. I wanted to use my cargo lamp switch. I drilled a small hole into the 3rd brake light housing and spliced into the factory wires running to the cargo lamps. At first everything worked good, could use the factory cargo lamp switch etc.

Now it seems they are being back fed and they randomly turn on by themselves, I'm guessing I need a diode or something inline? Has anyone else done them this way and I don't know what diode I would need? Thanks

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Never had that issue before. Sounds like you have something hooked up wrong. I would take all the connections apart and make sure nothing is touching its not supposed to be.

3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have this issue on my 04(same light setup, bed light switch to work lights on the rack) , so I'd say something probably shook loose.

4. quicknova

quicknova Member

Are your work lights LED though? I have the tow mirrors w/ leds on the side that I setup for clearance lights - copied someones setup where you need to buy some diodes and an electronic wafer board thing and solder it together in order to make it work with the leds. Thought there was something with leds that they cant share same power source like a regular bulb otherwise this happens..?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  5. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

I did this route with my one ton dump. because a cargo light is useless with a dump Truck. I however, which I never figured out why, I had to disconnect the bulbs from the cargo light plugs otherwise my interior lights stayed on. Didn't make any sense to me and still doesnt but if I unplugged my rotator everything was fine but as soon as splicing it back in my interior lights stayed on unless the bulbs were taken out.

6. quicknova

quicknova Member

interesting, I also had that problem although randomly, I guess that would be the simple fix, I think a resistor would take care of the problem but don't know which one I need. If it wasn't for all the damn positive ground Crap with the bcm controlling everything simple things like this would be much easier.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Resistor......hmm

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Say what?:confused::confused: