1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using Calcium Cloride alone?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Deputy_Swan, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Deputy_Swan

Deputy_Swan Junior Member

Hello, does anybody use straight calcium chloride for ice control, or tried it? is it to corrosive ?

I am set up for spraying ice this winter, but I cant find anybody close to be that provides salt brine, I can get Sugar Beet Molasses, and Calcium Chloride is in excess because oil field uses it here, so thinking about using that straight, but not sure if it will mess up concrete

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We use LCC. Is it corrosive? Yes all chlorides are. Check your suppliers % quality and use it straight or mix a sodium/chloride brine yourself and spray that to save money.

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

According to the American Concrete Institute, the
    rate of chemical attack of calcium chloride on
    concrete is “negligible”.
    In an article titled, “Winter Weather, Deicers Need
    Not Damage Concrete,” published by the Portland
    Cement Association, calcium chloride is called one of
    the “safest deicers for concrete”.
    Independent laboratory tests produced results
    consistent with the above statements.
    The data indicates that scaling from calcium chloride was less
    than that of other deicers, and comparable
    to that of pure water.

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yeah what he said...

LCC has a lower freeze temp so the freeze thaw cycles surfaces go through during winter months is lessened which decreases damage such as scaling. Which is the reason why LCC is the safest chloride for concrete use.

The reason why LCC is more corrosive to metal is because it is hygroscopic and it holds more moisture onto the surface causing it to rust faster.

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I use calcium chloride for all my de-icing needs. I use scrap CC that I have bought from a manufacture up north. They bag it and it sometimes has flakes, pellets and who knows what else in there. They call it sweepings and its the stuff that comes up off the floors I guess. What I like about it, is a little goes a long way and it lasts a long time and its fairly in expensive. I spread with a walk behind spreader and use about 2 tons a season

6. Plow Solutions

Plow Solutions Junior Member

Plowtoy, where are you getting the cal. from up north ? I use alot for my sites and would like to save some money, thanks.

7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Once you get to 10 post's, send me a PM and we can talk about it. I have already given enough info on its location and since it isn't always available, I don't tell too many people. It's one of the ways I can keep my prices down and still make money.

8. Plow Solutions

Ok Thanks.

9. Plow Solutions

Thanks, send me a PM with a contact number, seems to be alot of plowboys on here want to get the righty one, Thanks..

10. Plow Solutions

Thanks, send me a PM with a contact number, seems to be alot of plowboys on here want to get the right one, Thanks..

11. Plow Solutions

Thanks, send me a PM with a contact number, seems to be alot of plowboys on here want to get the right one, Thanks..