1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

using both sets of headlights???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dissociative, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

how did you guys do it?.. i want to be able to somehow keep my truck lights on as well as plow lights...or choose ...i have hid in truck....is there 2-3 different ways??

4 port iso module hb5 lights

put in ford forum but it dies

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Redneck it

instead of using the headlight adaptor, just tap into the power for the truck lights and run them to the relays like normal

3. Dissociative

lost me.....

4. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

what I did was run a relay for the plow headlights to the parking lights so when the parking lights are on the plow headlights are too.

5. topdj

topdj Senior Member

wont both sets of light require more of the electric current you need to run the plow?
    a pair of 55w lights draws an addtional 10-12amps

6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Ok, lest see if I can word this better. When you install your headlight adaptor, you plug your factory light plugs into the harness, it then runs to the relays and back up to the truck lights, the relays also have wires that run into the main plow harness for the lights. Instead of plugging your trucks factory harness into the plow adaptor harness, just splice into that factory harness and run the wires to the relay. Now wires comming off the relay to the trucks lights. The wires in red are the "redneck" wires, the ones you need to tap into and run to the relays, The blue ones are the ones no longer needed.

BTW, the picture is for the 9 pin setup. Same basic idea for all though.

redneck wire.JPG

7. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

It shouldnt be noticable, the lights will dim some whenever you lift or angle the plow anyways unless you run dual batteries. If you really wanted to, you could also splice in a power relay to supplement it. Just like you would use for fog lights....

8. Dissociative

i get you now.....but your a unimount....i am ultra mount...missed that part about the 4 port iso modual? i have no relays...the iso does it all.....

does anybody knwo if the iso modual uses the trucks power to power the plow lights?...or does it just use the headlight wires as a switch??? ...

I LIKE THE PARKING LIGHTS TURNING ON THE PLOW LIGHTS...NO EXTRA SWICH ON MY DASH!!!! HOW DO I DO IT???

9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Ok, here, ya go, same basic idea, but the only thing I would do is get a couple connectors from a dealership and splice them in along side the factory plugs so you dont have to cut the plow harness..... But basically match the colors on both sides...

redneck wire2.JPG

10. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

The only problem with doing it this way is, when you need high beams, you got none, or your high beams will be on all the time, depending on how you wire it..... no switching back and forth.

11. Dissociative

ohhhh damn.....kinda sucks...about the high beams...now if i put a diode on that wire why can't i just leave the harness intact to retain high beams? except it woudl simulate holding the flash to pass and overheat bulbs if ran long...due to the low beam not turning off....worried about not having them if needed short term...never needed them for mor etha a few seconds...flashing a cutter offer...ect...if i need more light long term...truck side hid's...

i would like to be sure about the iso pulling power or using feed as switch...i am not comfortable running my plow headlights off my truck parking light circut...unless they are relayed inside the iso box...dig?

but if the iso box has relays to power plow lights and i simply use truck parking to signal low beam on....then i am ok...

man...i am gonna have to modify harness to keep it plugged in...like make a splitter that turns one truck headlight socket into two....hmmm...one for plow one for truck lights...one on parking...one on regular...hmmmm

12. Dissociative

unless i use plow side high beams to power my truck side hid's...powering both at same time....prolly overlaod iso for sure...but would be a good set-up that way....

13. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

whats the main reason why you want both sets of lights on so badly? when its snowing out I want the least amount of light possible, it makes it way harder to see in my opinion... if you want more lighting get a set of plug and play HIDs for the plow.... seems like a lot of work and headache to me to have both sets on at the same time

14. Dissociative

kinda hard to plow in the dark ...i wish my nighthawks had refractors over the light bulbs so i can put hids in there.

15. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

10-4, i usually turn my lights off as much as possible....

16. Dissociative

i plow some dark **** guys....i seriosly need light....my lots don't have street lights a lot of the time

17. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

other option, and probably help more would be to use some off road lights, put them on a removeable light bar on your truck cab and point them down. Light thinks up like crazy and only have them when you need them........ Not to mention the cool looking factor...

18. Dissociative

yeah......i guess......i was tring not to "add" anymore junk if i can....i really don't want to screw with the truck side too much....28k for this truck...hate to screw with anything....really

i figured there was an easy way to trick the iso box....