1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

using bigger trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowbandit, Jul 31, 2010.

1. snowbandit

snowbandit Junior Member

how many of you guys out there use heavy duty trucks in parking lots i have a ford l8000 tri axle that i use with the state and hauling snow just wonding if anybody has any luck with the bigger truck i used it a bit to plow a parking lots last winter and it did get thinking about trying to find a single axle l8000 for next winter so i dont lose the big money with the state

2. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

To big ---- Big PIA :salute:

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

great for salting and running the ring roads at malls. we use mostly SA, but have run some tri's.

4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Tri-axle is a little big for parking lots. I use a single axle Ford L800 (GVW 27500) to do some hotel parking lots. 10' plow works great. I also contract with the city to plow streets. I don't bid small parking lots.

5. snowbandit

snowbandit Junior Member

right now i am sitting pretty good with the state but last winter after we got cut off with the state 3 weeks after the last snow flake fell, i just got home brought the truck home to push the sides of my street back some more and make the street look like a beach some guy knocked on the door and want to hire me to haul snow from parking lots it was a pain because i had to take the sander off and put the tailgate back on then did not get finished with him by the time the state called me back in for the next storm gee i just love making money lets pray for snow next winter like the last winter

6. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Big Truck

I do some plowing w/ a C60 4X4 (about a 30000 lb I think) single axle 11' big blade. I really moves a LOT of snow, but I don't do parking lots, mostly Townhome Assoc. common driveway, but I have a slick setup in that I load and haul a landscaping tractor on the back of the truck that I use to do cleanup. I aso use a 3/4 pickup w/ a western plow. I really get a kick out of being up in that big truck though.

7. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I have a l8000 single axel with a 11' blade and 9' wing. We use it at one of my malls for the long pushes. I boxed the plow to carry snow and put a lot of ballast in the box. I hate to say it but it turns sharper than my 02 Super Duty. It works well and gets used a lot.

8. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

DCS MN, I'd like to see some pics of that box plow. i was thinking of doing something similar. Does it have a rubber cutting edge and what type of trip? Thanks.

9. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

The plow does trip but the lot I use it in it rarely happens. I took 1/4 steel cut to match the conture of the plow and it coms out about 2' with a 4" rubber cutting edge. I also reinforced the steel back to the plow with a 2'x2' tube. All of it is bolted on so it can be removed.

If you do it make sure you have A LOT of weight in the truck. I would take pictures but the plow is up at a storage lot.

Brad