1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using a v-box without removing truck tailgate?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ulbhunter, Dec 13, 2007.

1. ulbhunter

ulbhunter Junior Member

Is it a problem to use a v box spreader in a truck without removing the trucks tailgate. I have a 97 ford 1-ton srw,4x4, diesel that has a tommylift that I was wanting to use a v-box in. The tommylift design does not allow for easy removal of the tailgate. Here in Oklahoma we dont get many days in which a salter would be needed but my customers are asking for this service during icing events.

I did look at the hitch mount type of spreaders but my customers are wanting sanding (only enough salt to keep the sand from freezing) and based on my reading a hitch type spreader does not handle sand well. It would also be a problem loading a hitch type as I have all the free bulk sand I could ever want and it would require a 30 mile trip for refills.

I do understand that the weight of the load will be shifted more to the rear of the truck but I dont think this will be a problem (truck already has overload springs). I know the lift gate will handle the weight placed on it without problems as I have had 1500lbs on the gate only and it did not even squat the truck or strain the lift gate.

Also, I was thinking about salt dogg poly v-box. Will this work for me?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

2. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Any v-box or similar concept is going to require removing the gate

3. ulbhunter

ulbhunter Junior Member

excuse my ignorance but I have never owned or used a v-box. Why can't the tailgate be open on the truck and then just shift the v-box toward the back of the truck. The open tailgate should be no different than an open pick-up box. Am I missing something?

Thanks
    Greg

4. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

I know what kind of setup you are talking about with the tommy gate. There is no reason why I would say not to go ahead, so long as the weight capacity is alright for your rig. The spreader itself will function no differently. You may have to run a few feet extra wiring harness out the back of the truck to reach the spreader, and find a few different tie down points to secure it well. That, and pay attention the first number of times that you back up! Last, give a visual check to make sure those behind you can still see all lights/signals on your truck. I know Fisher spreaders have an auxiliary brake light mounted right on the spreader. Good luck.

5. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I've been wondering the same thing. Say, an 8' V-box on a 6' bed...just put down the tailgate. My concern, though, was whether or not the tail gate "straps" could bear the weight. With a V box setup, the salt is usually being forced to the back by the conveyor, making the front lighter, hence the concern for the tailgate. I guess if the spreader is secured really well to the front, then it would be OK.

My other concern would be that the back of the spreader would be about 3' or so behind the bumper...kinda "back heavy".

Anyone actually do this?

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Do a search for a member named Lawngodfather or snowgodfather. He used to put 8' v boxes in his trucks with 6' beds. i think he would put two 8' boards length ways in the box and then set the vbox on them. I would use steel channel for better support, just bolt the channel or boards down in the front of the bed.

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

theres no way the tailgate or cables will take the weight. remember the v box empties
    from the front to the back. and all the weight is already hanging off the back.

JR

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

tail heavy

depending which tailgate you have you are going to move your center of gravity back about 30" and make it really light on the front end and lose traction on the front axle affecting the steering ,not to mention how much damage you are going to do to the lift gate electrics . if you just have to have a vee box ,just buy a low dollar dedicated truck ,or remove the gate for the season it would be a real safety risk !

9. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

if it were me i would definitly buy a 8' v for the 6' bed...but i would NOT..put an 8' v in an 8' bed hanging out the back...get me?