1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using a trailer for ice control?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by steveair, Jan 9, 2002.

1. steveair

steveair Senior Member

I mentioned this in another thread, but figured I bring it up as a new one.

Does anyone have a spreader mounted on/in a trailer?

I saw some one the other day with a smaller tailgate mount on the back of a easy dumper trailer. They had it behind a 1 ton ford dually with a 9 ft fisher on the front.

It looked like they had 2 pallets of melter in the back of the trailer, and were hand loading the bags into the spreader.

Too me, it seem like a very practical idea...

From my own experiences, most of the time salt is applied when the roads have been cleared, therefore I don't think pulling it around in the midst of a blizzard is a concern.

Also, it seems nice because you could bring it from job to job, unhooking it while you plow, and then when you finish, hook it back up, due you application, and move on to the next job.

Maybe for some applications it would not be practical, but for wide open areas such as parking lots, long stretches of street/roads, it seems like it would work.

Even the possibility of mounting a v-box in the back seems very ideal.

Any ideas?
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I dont know about that, if you plow with the storm, you would be on untreated roads. In an ice event I think that combo would be a nightmare.
    However, for an on site piece of equip., I think it would work great.
  3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

WHy wouldn't they just have the spreader on the back of the truck? They could still have a 1 to 1 1/2 pallets in the back of the truck.

I would not want to be pulling a trailer around on icy roads.