1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

using a tracotr for snow removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by weckel5984, Feb 19, 2012.

1. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

throwing around the idea of buying either a john deere or kubota 4x4 tractor to use for landscaping vs a mini skid this spring. one of the pros i see in a tractor is that i could use it more for snow than a mini skid. what size tracotr would i need to use an 8' push box on? i want one that has enough power to push snow but is small enough to do landscape installs and mulching etc.... any thoughts? am i searching for something that is impossible?

2. 518Landscapes

518Landscapes Member

For JD 4000 series and up I would say for snow work with an 8ft pusher. 40hp minimum, loaded tires or weights are a must. We run a 4720 with an 8ft pusher it works great. We can still use it on our landscaping jobs. You could go smaller but lift capacity and dumping height are reduced if you are loading salt or mulch you might not be able to reach or load as much. As far as other brands I'm not sure of the models/specs I'm sure some one that likes Blue, Orange or Red will chime in shortly.

3. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

ok thanks. i am leaning towards kubota as of now at least haha. i was looking at the l4400 series with the quick attatch setup.

4. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I have a small jd790 and spent a fortune when i added a 6 foot box to the front. I would definately go larger. I find my mt 52 more usefull than my tractor for landscaping needs. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

i have a kioti dk55, pushes an 8ft box alright with loaded tire. I'm not going to use it landscaping, to heavy/big

6. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

yeah im kinda torn. im getting the feeling that ill have to get both to fully meet my needs.

7. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

I use a Kubota L3540 with 8ft pusher, it works pretty good for the size of the machine, it has plenty of power just need more weight...

i have the skid steer quick attach on loader, and the 3rd function valve on front, so i can run angle blade, auger, my pickup sweeper broom..just about any skid attachment. with in the lifting capacity of the tractor....it gets hairy with my rock hound on the front....

8. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I sure wonder if a 4000 series would do it? I suppose anything will if you don't care how long it takes. I had a 3720 for at home on the farm and it was a joke for moving any snow. Best mower money could buy but it was like shoveling sand with a piece of rebar.(thanks marv)
    That was a 44 hp tractor, problem was there was no weight to the thing even with loaded tires if it went of a level surface it was stuck all over sideways, no thanks.

9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

My 3720 will push a 8' box without thinking twice... You don't need anymore then a 3720 (44hp) and I don't think the 4 series lifts all that much higher then the 3 series loader does... Turf tires are the awnser to your problems...

10. Triple L

from Canada

11. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I used a Case DX 40 with a machinability 60" V blade for sidewalks, and a Fisher 9.5 EZV, modified to fit the Machinability mount, for parking lots, no issues with pushing either.
    I like Red, but I'm taking a hard look at Kioti, they're priced right.

Bill

12. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

triple L what are you using to control v blade in cab? do you have 3rd function valve out front and a diverter in the cab to run each wing independently?

13. Triple L

from Canada

3rd and 4th function yes

14. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

very nice setup my dad has same tractor and lorenz blower and straight blade plow..awesome machines....i had jd 3320 traded for kubota...not to pleased with kubota or my dealer support...but its warm in winter and cool in summer and hydraulics are strong...

i think im going to move to a 4000 series jd when i trade

15. Triple L

from Canada

that inverted snowblower is for sale for $1500 if anyone wants it...

16. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

I have a 4720 with a 8.5' poly edge box on the back and it couldnt pull or push the darn thing until i put turf tires on it. Now with the turfs i love the tractor. If i did it again i would have put the biggest turf tires i could fit and i think that would have got me up to 20mph road speed. When mine are all gone i will put bigger ones on it.

17. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

I have a New Holland 2310 (40hp) that I have an 8' Pro-Teck skidsteer pusher on front and a Land Pride 7' pull blade with end plates on the rear. This is an awesome snow plowing unit. Of course I have the big loaded turf tires on back. Much better traction than with industrial R4 tires.
    I have been using this unit for 4 years now and I am totally satisfied with the performance of this tractor
    With the factory cab option on it It has much better visibility than any one of my trucks or bigger tractors have. It has great manurerability in tight areas. Of course it would not be large enough to plow a Walmart That what the big loaders with the 14'-16' pushers are for.
    In the summer time I take the cab doors off and add a box blade, rototiller and Harley power rake for landscaping jobs, I also have a set of forks for the loader to move materials around.
    This tractor makes a living for me year round!

18. 518Landscapes

518Landscapes Member

TrippleL is right I checked the specs the 4000 series w/400cx actually is similar in lift height and reach with the 3000 series w/300cx sadly.:mad: The lifting capacity is definitely higher on the 4000 series as well as break out etc. As far as power its night and day in the larger models. This is my fourth JD compact all with turf tires, new tractor always bigger then the last. I was disappointed with my 3000 series, traded up to a 4120 w/Curtis cab, then went straight to a fully loaded 4720Thumbs Up. The 4000 series tractors were by far better then any of the smaller tractors I have had. my .02