1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

using a snow bear for a few driveways. and quick fixes that might help me

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by Tirioloservices, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

hi iam going to be using my snow bear for about 10 small driveways here in connecticut
    what are some issue's i might have and quick fixes that you might recommend. i hear that the strap on the winch breaks easy. what are some quick fixes for that or winch problems?? please help me with anything or personal experiences
    thanks

2. Snowbear-Man

Snowbear-Man Inactive

Hi

If you have paying customers I would recommend having a back-up winch. skid shoes and a couple of extra heavy duty lifting straps on our site at snowplowsonline.com.

The best way to keep your winch working is to store it indoors between uses where it can dry out. Also never try to lift your plow blade when you have your plow up against a bank of snow your will be trying to lift the whole bank instead of just the weight of the blade.

Do not have tension on the lifting strap when driving with the plow use the saftey hook and let it take the weight of the plow or the jerking of the weight of the plow on the strap will damage your winch.

Good Plowing

3. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

ok tell me some more info

ok. where can you get a back up winch cheap? and will it fit where the old one is?
    i have the shoes. and what kind of straps are you talking about. please a little more details. and when driving do i keep the plow up all the way thight? will it drop if i dont use the hook?

4. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

is there an alteranative to the winch strap? is there a cheap replacememnt winch?
    and on that website which is the better strap and whats there difference? theres 2 listed? it syas 2 does that mean you get two for that price? and how hard are there straps to install and my plows garaged in heat all winter

5. champlainl

champlainl Member

use chain

not sure how new your plow is but I recently picked up a used SB and the previous owner had a chain on the winch. this works awesome,I also replaced the winch with one from harbor freight for 50 bucks(2000 lb capacity),they will be on sale for $39 for xmas. Winch comes with cable on it so I removed that and installed chain. Extended warranty is $10 for 2 Years. Gotta love that store.

6. Snowbear-Man

Snowbear-Man Inactive

Hi

Couple of things to keep your winch in good shape. When driving with the plow take the weight off the plow with the saftey hook or by ratchet straping the A frames together. Also when piling snow into a bank always brak contact with the pile so the weight of your vehicle is not on the blade when you try to lift it. Heavier duty straps than come with the winch are available at snowplowsonline.com

Also if you want to use your Snowbear Plow to make money you should have a back-up winch--customers would not be happy if you would have to wait 3or 4 days for a new winch.

Thanks

7. jeepnsno99

jeepnsno99 Junior Member
    from chicago

Summit has a replacment winch motor for 80$ and I bought there 10$ axle strap for towing cut off the 2 metal loops and mounted it for the strap. Its 2" rather than 1.25 like the orig and it has a 5k lbs break limit rather then 2 like th orig

8. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

whats the winches model number and the replacee how so i wire thata nd how do u change it to the chain

9. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

oops typing from cell is hard lol...whats that winches ol number and how do i wire that?

10. jeepnsno99

jeepnsno99 Junior Member
    from chicago

no this is not a replacement winch it is only the replacement winch motor. it bolts on the side of the mainframe with to small bolts that go through the cas on the motor. then the drive shaft locks into the winch plates and turns the chain or strap depending on the type you have. ill include the summit # so you can just copy and past for more info
    mtor # SPW-90-33293 $89
    strap # SUM-G7965 $10 i was able to use this one bc i hav my setup on a cherokee however this one is longer for if you are running on a full size truck or anything that sits higher then a standard cherokee SUM-G7966
    hope this helps and happy plowing

11. kylejohn

kylejohn Junior Member
    from Ontario

how do u bolt a chain onto the winch drum?

12. Snowbear-Man

Snowbear-Man Inactive

Hello

The chain bolts onto a collar that bolts onto the drum if this collaqr is not on the winch you may have a winch that is set up to use a nylon strap.

Thanks

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I used MasterLock winches as they were cheap, 1500lb ATV winches. You can get them at Walmart which saved me a few times in the middle of storms. The problem is cooling time between drives or raising and lowering. If its a big drive that needs a good amount of cleaning up, the up/down of the plow can overheat the winch and kill it. My favorite winch I ever used was a Superwinch LT2000- it was very fast and yanked that plow like it was nothing- this obviously helped clear drives faster.

Take it easy with the plow, and plow often with the storm. My issues all came from plowing after the storm was done and plowing 6-10" of snow at a time.

14. kennyyoung

kennyyoung Junior Member

I also recently purchased the Superwinch LT2000 to use with my SnowBear snowplow, but I am having trouble with the cable recoiling. Did you leave the cable on your winch and did you ever have any problem with it recoiling?

15. kylejohn

kylejohn Junior Member
    from Ontario

no problem recoiling, but the cable has snapped on me twice, i nthe same snow storm
    im trying out sum ideas with straps and chains but am aving no luck

16. kennyyoung

kennyyoung Junior Member

Yeah, I have been trying a few different things too, but still using the cable because of no success with a strap or chain either!!! If you find a solution, send it this way, it would be greatly appreciated!!! I'll do the same.

17. moosey

moosey Senior Member

Do what I did for my Winch. Welded a western hoop assembly for the lift motor to the area where winch goes. You could also use a meyer pump which I have not put on it.

snowbear.jpg