1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using a JD 2320 for Residential Driveways??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by EGLC, Nov 18, 2007.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I'm thinking about renting a JD 2320 with a bucket for snow removal this year. It goes for $225 a day & my dad's friend owns it. I can probably get it cheaper because it just sits in the winter.I live in a lake community so I don't think I'll have any problems as long as I have my flashers on & a orange light.

Even though a bucket doesn't have a trip edge couldn't I pull in, set it down & pull out? Then pick it up and dump it off to the side? Also we're talking driveways here no commercial properties so you can't really go to fast anyway. I have a snowblower right now so this would speed up it alot. I have 20 accounts all withing 1/4 mile from my house & every time I go out I have atleast 5 people flag me down to do a one time cleanup.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Almost forgot to add he also has a larger JD as well, I think a 3000 series? He also has a back blade that I can mount on either model.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing with a bucket sucks.
    You can only go so far before it's full and you have to dump it
    You can't furrow anything and you get tons of bleed by.
    Also, I don't know JD numbers, but that's a real small tractor isn't it? Like 25hp or so.
    You're talking a 1/4 yard bucket, which is itty bitty.
    And no, they don't trip, and when you hit something, you'll know it. (stops you dead, or breaks whatever you hit)

3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

What if I use the back blade? The driveways by me are tiny, only two cars wide & about one car deep.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If they are only one car deep and two wide a 5 ft back blade with end plates would probably work OK. Like LC said plowing with a bucket sucks but if they really are the size you say, you could probably just back drag the whole driveway onto the road and then push it up.

5. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

I agree with Dave. Get a blade for the back. You could purchase a new 6' 3pt blade with end plates for around $600 if you shop around. Try for the 3000 series if you can. It's much heavier, and you stand a better chance in case of an accident with another vehicle.
    -Miketymusic

6. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

If you read it says I can get a back plow for it for no extra cost. The 3000 series is the same price.

7. LoneCowboy

back blades are worse.
    you run over the snow and pack it down before you move it and with a real light tractor like that (I'm right aren't I, 25hp or so?), it just moves the tractor sideways. You get to taking about a 2' bite each time.
    Or, if you run it in reverse, again you have to take a small bite, plus you get a crick in your neck from working backwards.
    You can put a plow on 'em (probably a 5' or so) and honestly that would work and work a lot better.
    But if you just want to rent it, bah, not worth it.
    and trust me, being in an open platform tractor for 8 to 10 hours when it's 10 degrees out moving snow gets old really fast. DAMHIK

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with you for the most part but what's he really out if he rents it for a storm to try it out. Your right on with the hp, it's exactly 24.

9. LoneCowboy

$225 :cool:

IMHO Subcompact tractors (that 25hp range) are just worthless. They don't weigh enough to do anything or have enough power to do anything. All the buckets and 3 point stuff is all 4' stuff, it's barely big enough to get out of it's own way. Look in that 35hp range (what they call a class 1 compact) and at least that size is useful. Most of them are about 5' wide (instead of 4) and handle 5' implements. Their buckets should be a 1/3 yard or so and you can definately put a plow on them.
    The cost to purchase (or rent) is almost the same.

10. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

A 3000 series is 30hp+ right? So then it would be fine, I know of another guy with a L45 but I'm not friends with him. (Just know him from doing business)

Oh I can probably get the 3000 for $175 a day with the backblade & loader. It sits all of winter so I'm pretty sure he'll let me have it for around that price.

Thoughts?

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The bigger the tractor the better, give it a try, all your out is $175. To be honest I've never driven a tractor with less then 50hp. How many events do you have to plow on average/year?

12. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

We only had 3 good snow falls last year. I just need something to work with my snowblower & be able to do 20-30 driveways each snowfall. I will probably buy a plow truck next fall but have to buy some equipment in the spring so there will be no plow this year. :cry:

This year we should have alot more snow falls; alteast we will if the weather keeps up how its been for the last two days.

13. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i am with JD, try it you aint got nothin to lose, there is a lot of guys out there with quad's and i'll take a 24hp tractor any day over a quad (nothing wrong with quads), i think lonecowboy could agree with that

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just paint it Blue, you and LC would think it was the best thing ever. LOL

15. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

EGLC- i read it right and i understand you can get it included, however i can pretty much guarentee that you'll tweak a back blade within a year of commercial use, and i also suggested you go with a larger blade size for the machine.
    -Mike

16. LoneCowboy

a quad with a blade will SMOKE a 25hp tractor
    Not even in the same game.
    maybe 1/5th of the time.
    And when the snow gets too deep for the quad, the little mini-tractor is pretty much done too.

17. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

OK, now I just have to call you out & say you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Both of my neighbors have them and there is no way they're going to smoke a tractor with a back blade & bucket. Absolutely NO WAY!!

Also if you read above it says that I'm going to go with the 3000 series tractor = 35hp.

18. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

LC what do you suggest he does ??????? you seem to be down on everythig so smartguy tell us? i am curious what you use the tc45 for if not for snow why is it in your signature? idonno

sorry for the aggesion but you don't seem to be helping anything just bringin this guy down that is trying to get started

19. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I say give it a shot but if you can make it work and make some money for yourself, down the road you can work on some better equip and if anything it will give you experience with some equip and some practice learning snow.

Back when I was about 14 I use to plow residential drive ways for cash, with a Massey 1010 with a bucket and a back blade. They were small drives 2 cars wide, 2 -3 cars deep. The tractor was diesel 25hp range if I remember. Biggest things was trying to not drive over the snow and pack it down cause the back blade wouldnt scrape it up. I use to drive in down the center with the bucket, scrap back with down pressure a bit, then turn around and use the back blade on an angle to snow to each side. Taking about half a back blade on each pass, stradeling the windrow so to not pack it down and half the tractor was always driving on clean driveway. It wasnt 4x4 so it was a bit harder, not sure if this JD machine is but that would be nice. I had two cement blocks strapped to the back blade on the top for some down pressure weight.

Later on in life I got a Bolens Hydrostatic Gas Tractor with a Blower, Now that was a machine. Shoot snow from one neighbors to the others. GOOD LUCK, you have to start somewhere.

20. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

Yah, its 4x4. If I didn't need another mower & getting an enclosed trailer in the spring I would pickup a decent used plow truck. I'll try it out this winter on a snowfall & let you'll know how it went. If it works out good I'll rent it for every storm we have this winter.

Thanx for all the replies! Once the leaves fall & I finish my cleanups LET IT SNOW!! :drinkup: