1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using a Boss Joystick, instead of Western Cab Control

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hotsprings77, Jan 13, 2004.

1. hotsprings77

hotsprings77 Member

Just got my Western MVP 8.5 ultramount installed on my dodge 2500. While the western controller is nice, I am used to the boss joystick. Anybody know if it is possible to switch the western cab control with a Boss joystick. I am talking about the big joystick that fits in you hand, not the little 1inch pointer boss controller. Do you think the electronics would work with each other. any thoughts would be great. mark

2. DropPlow

DropPlow Junior Member

Mark-
    Have you had the opportunity to try the Cab Command yet? I've never used the Boss but I find the CC a breeze. I also have a 2500 and an Ultramount. I may even get to use it tomorrow- fingers cro$$ed!

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Hotsprings,

I don't think that the Boss joystick is compatable with Western equipment. Pretty positive about that. However, I have a Boss with the joystick and all it consists of is a small joystick type piece of metal with a big plastic joystick secured to it with a couple of screws. I had to take mine apart one time.:waving:

4. hotsprings77

hotsprings77 Member

sorry, not too good at describing the boss joysticks. The western controller is nice, but it seems like a waste of time to have it function like three different plows. v, straight, or one wing at a time. How slow are your guys wings going in and out, seems way to slow to be efficient. Also is the plow designed to pop out of the lower cross member,when you push into a hard pile of snow and it can't move the snow. Seems like it gets reset when you lower it back to the ground.

5. The Boss

To my knowledge, Boss doesn't make the joystick for the V plow anymore, just the thumb control.:waving:

6. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I just last week bought a new Boss 8-2V and it came with a joystick. When I ordered it on 12/31/03 from the dealer he asked me if I wanted the joystick.

7. The Boss

I didn't know they still made them.:confused:
    My dealer told me they just make the thumb control now.:waving:

8. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Boss,
    If you hear they will not make the joysticks anymore let me know. I will go and buy a bunch for replacement parts. I would go crazy with out the joystick!

9. The Boss

I'll let you know. How much did you pay for the 8.2? If I remember right, they were something like$3800.00 installed down here.

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

the western/fishstick is a bit more of a PITA to use IMO but after awhile i got used to it and it aint too bad.

No chance of using the boss controller unless you were an electrical guru.(if you are and figure it out leme know ;) )

The only time I find it to really be a PITA is to be using the scoop position and then want to drop your wing to scatter it off to one side. You just gotta plan ahead and get it to the "wing" mode. Most of the time though I am using it like a straight blade so its kinda nice with its straight mode. If they had a button for each mode I would love it since you can really eat up some ground while waiting for the thing to go to wing mode and then get the wing to do its thing.

My blade dosnt move as fast as a boss but it is still quick enough. You have everything bled and topped off? Everything nice and greased?

Dont really understand what you mean about it popping outa place? Dosnt sound good.

I've gota fisher.

If Boss made a trip edge V I probably woulda went with it.

11. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

joystick

Just got a 9'2'V with a Joy Stick your dealer must not be very good . My old plow had a joystick so he said it would be better to get one for the new one . He said I could get either one. Joystick all the way .I love them.

Steve

12. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

The Boss controller is a much better design than the Fisher/Western IMHO.

I do not like the modes. I think it's because Fisher/Western uses double acting cylinders. Keeps you from trying to make a cylinder do two things at once.