1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Using 255/85 R16 can I use different on front.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by pjohnston911, Jan 18, 2008.

1. pjohnston911

pjohnston911 Junior Member

Hope I can get some info here. :) I have a 1 ton that I have always used 255/85 R16 tires, mud tires . It has become harder and harder (and more expensive) to find this size. Question is, what other size is safe to use on the front. I bought the back ones about 2 years ago and they have about 2,000 miles on them. The front are DEAD.

What size can I use on the front that is safe and won't stress the front end. I pull a trailer about 20 times a year,

Thanks in advance.

2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

265-75-16 --> 90% of our 1-ton trucks
    285-75/65?-16---> if i want a little bigger tire or MT's

I can't remember off hand if they are 285 65's or 75's

3. pjohnston911

So what other size can I use on the front, even if I have the 255/85 16 on the back. I just remember being told years ago not to put different sizes because it would screw up the differential.So would a 235/85 16 be ok.. How small can I go as long as it's a 16 inch. Thanks.

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

You can't mix sizes front to rear on a 4x4 vehicle, it will cause the transfer case to bind.

5. pjohnston911

So what size would do..Since the rear does the pulling the bigger ones are on the back so if I go narrower on the front thats fine right..I just can't see spending 200.00 on a tire and having to order it to boot. I see alot of 235, like how narrow can I go. Give a size please. Thanks a bunch.

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

You'll have to check with a tire store as far as which hight and width will work with the tires you have sorry i can't help you with an actual size. (hey this was my 600th post)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  7. pjohnston911

Congrats.. 600 posts.shuu. Thanks for your help..

8. qualitylawncare

Ditto..

I had the impression with my previous post you wanted to replace all 4 tires.

9. pjohnston911

It's not a four wheel drive. I have always had those tires on it.Not the factory for sure..LOL.. Due to the fact I pulled a trailer I bought the mud all terrain I think they are called..I always had the 255 85 R 16 on it. But the back wore out faster and they were replaced 2 years ago. They are like new. Now the front are beat.So I have to replace them. I guess i need to know if I can go to a 75 instead of an 85 and go to a 235.. It would help alot as those sizes are a heck of alot easier to get then the ones I have on there now.:rolleyes:

10. qualitylawncare

I guess to make things easier, do a search on the tire manufacturer's website. Most of them allow you to throw in your trucks info and it will shoot back tires available for that make/model.

As far as going from a 85 to a 75, that isn't a big deal. And I think you would be ok with 235's. For some reason I think someone told me once you can go 2 sizes in either direction from the OEM size. I've never heard of sizes being mixed though.

11. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

If it is not 4 wheel drive it dose not matter that they are different front to back.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

13. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Look at the specs for various tires. Its not a 4WD, so they don't have to match exactly. I would try to get a tire that is close to the height of the rear tires so the truck sits fairly level. The width isn't going to make much difference. I run LT235 85 R16 on both my 3/4 ton and 1 ton dump,. They are roughly 32" in height. I replaced the 255 85 R16 on my dump with the LT235. Mine is 4WD so I replaced all six at the same time.

14. pjohnston911

Thanks a bunch guys, I thought buying tires for my corvette was a nightmare ( and expensive ) but these tires are a real pain and expensive. I must say in their defense they have lasted a long time.I think I have bought 2 sets the whole time I have owned it . I bought it when it was almost 2 years old and have owned it ever since. Hate to say how many years but i will, since almost 90..LOL.It's an 88 F350 crewcab,, It's my baby. So i guess two sets have lasted a LONG LONG TIME..I just got it a paint job a solid black ( it was a two tone which I liked) and next step the tires and the trim put back on. Having trouble with what stuff to put it back on with..From what I gather you better make real sure where your putting it as once it's there it's there..LOL..

15. pjohnston911

JD DAVE I checked that site out and I can get 225/75R16 ( 744x225, 29.3x8.9 ) 16x6.0 to 16x8.5 fir like 90.00 WOW I guess I'll find out about shipping or see who carries that size. They will be ok right.

16. pjohnston911

Thank You GL&M :) Everyone have a super weekend and if you come up with any ideas let me know.. I have found this forum great. I notice someone else was having a problem with their exhaust manifold , i believe a leak. Mine has one now..LOL.. When I rains it pours..LOL..The truck has been great to me so I can't get mad at it... It has bee super.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I only use that site for comparing tire and rim sizes, so I know nothing else about them. That tire will work fine.

18. pjohnston911

Well I got the tires. I ended up putting 235/85 16 on it.. Boy you forget how nice a new set of tires make your truck feel. Thanks for the info everyone.