1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kemmer, Oct 23, 2004.

1. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

There is a used Western Ultramount Pro 7 1/2 plow that i have been looking at, it is in great condition and is 1 yr old, the guy is asking $2500. it comes with the #67981-2 mount, will it fit my truck? I have a 01 chevy silverado 2500HD.

Another question, would it be easy to install it myself? Also the truck is used, it had a plow on it before, but imnot sure if what type of plow it was. Also, if its 2 hard for me to install it, will a dealer charge extra to install it since i didnt buy it from him??

Thanks for all the help
  2. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Go to western plows.com and do the quick match thing on there website, it'll tell you what mount you need. As for attaching it yourself it'll take you a lot of time and you might be better off having someone who knows what they are doing take care of it because you don't want the plow falling off during a storm. There might be some welding involved not sure. Good luck, your truck is a gas job if i remember enjoy the 5-8 mpg you'll get with snowplowing.

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

SFL.............What truck did it come off from?
    If it was off another 99/04 2500 GM it will bolt on !

You will have to most likely buy a $spendy ($250) wiring harness for
    the truck side lighting set up. GM keeps changing the headlights!

If it came off a ford or mopar you will also have to buy a new push bar also.
    ($400) so it will work on your GM.

NNJ is right .......Go to the http://www.westernproducts.com

Quick match specs....That will help too..................

Confusing too.. I KNOW....Swapping my Ultra from my 01 t0 04 GM.

Just keep that in mind on the used plow price and don't forget $$
    for instalation.

Shop a price on a new one....It might cost the same as used by the time its installed and working.............geo :drinkup:
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Whats worse diesel or gas. Seems diesel is more than taking the lead price at the pump. Last time I checked here, diesel is up to $2.20 a gallon and gas is $1.93, I don't see that big of a cost savings driving a diesel compared to gasser anymore. I just can't get over how fast diesel is going up compared to gas.

Will someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't diesel just a by product of gasoline? I was always told that was the reason diesel prices used to be cheaper than gasoline.
  5. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

but will it cost more if a dealer installs it if i didnt buy it from them, also how much do mounts run for?

of subject, but is a 8'6" plow to big for my truck?
  6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Yes, I'm willing to bet the dealer will charge a higher fee since you didn't buy the plow from him. I think the ultra mount truck side only, no wiring runs at least $300. I got a quote for a ultra mount truck side only for around $300.
  7. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

dlcs, how much do u think it will cost with wiring?
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Snowlyleaflands here is my .02 worth. The plow you are looking at is $2500. and if everything fits this is a good price. As soon as you have to buy anything then add that to the price and see how much that is total. Now see if it still a good price. The is a web site snowplowsupply.com. They sell the 7.5 steel for $3049. and the poly for $3274. I know this does not include the installation but neither does the used one. The other thing I would consider is a bigger plow. Even if you don't need it now you will soon as we all tend to grow our business. I would be putting either a 8 or 8.5 on that truck. Try to get a poly, I know they weight a little more but most people forget, when the snow is wet it sticks to the steel plows and as you drive from call to call you are carring that weight with you. I have had both and unless there is a real deal out there I would by poly. Just some food for thought.
  9. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

ok, scratch that last idea with the 7.5 plow, it was on ebay and i didnt win.

I was talking to a guy about plowing and he knows someone that is selling theres near me. He said that it was a 8.5 pro western ultramount plow. He said that it was mounted on a dodge but the guy blew his trans the first time he used it, and after that, never used it again, infact, he took it off the truck. i believe it is 1 yr old. he thinks that hes selling it for $1200. i think the only thing i have to get is the truck mount. would the wiring be the same for a chevy and dodge, or would i possibly have to get that to?

Im hopefully going to go look at it sometimes this week?
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Well atleast one seems to be a better price to start with. Go to this web site WESTERNPLOWS.COM and click on the quick match and fill in the blanks. At the end it will give you part #'s, see how many match, how many pieces you have to buy and how much they are. Then you will know if a deal is realy a deal.
  11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Snowy yes you will need the harness for your truck and the mount. Dlcs, I tend to agree on the diesal vs. gas debate. Used to be the diesal would save you 15 cents a gallon, and you got anywhere from 4 to 10 mpg better. Now it costs 5000 more up front and cost 20 to 35 cents more a gallon. Heavy towing for that matter is all that really justify's the cost of a diesal now. I really wanted to get the new 4.5 Cummins, trading in my 03 hemi. i have run the numbers forward and backward and cant justify the trade in. It will take me about 6 years to break even on the cost increase, and I only keep my trucks 3 years. I do tow a 5000 pound boat locally and a skid loader from time to time, but that hemi gets it done and still gets 11 around town. I do realize it works way harder then the Cummins while plowing but I have yet to need 4 lo to push any piles back. Just my 2 cents
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Your best bet would be to call your local western dealer.
  13. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

ok hear is your correction 18 mpg in a full sized truck on mixed highway and around town driving around 22 mpg on all highway driving........oh yeah it sounds cool too!!!!!!
  14. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

In my experience on the diesel debate.

I used to run between 6 to 8hrs on about 25 gal of unleaded plowing with a 96 f250 with the 5.8 liter engine with a 7.5' straight blade with wings.

And I now run 16 to 20hrs on about 30 gal of diesel plowing with a 01 F350 PSD with a 8.5' V plow.

This is all commercial with very little driving between Jobs.

Diesel prices typically rise in the winter due to the fact that diesel is still used for heating and the demand goes up in the winter.