1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used Western Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Totallawn, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Totallawn

Totallawn Junior Member
    from Tulsa

I have the opportunity to buy a used Western plow for about $200. The plow is still on the truck (which is included in the $200). It's a late 80's model Ford (blown engine). My truck is a 99' F350 4x4 Diesel. I would have to buy the adapter to mount it to my truck. Is there any suggestions on how I should go about doing this? Anything I should stay away from?
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Western Plow

Brian you are going to have to have a mount custom built for your truck by someone in your area to install this type plow on your truck. Western hasn't built conventional plow mounts for the newer trucks for quite a few years now, so take that into consideration before you buy the unit. Good luck with your project. John
  3. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

I agree that you may have problems trying to find a mount for your application. Trying to mount an older rig to a newer truck will take a little brain storming. Western doesn't seem to have anything to do this.
    One thing you can do is purchase a Meyer plow harness rig for your year truck. Cost around $700 and fairly simple to do yourself. The pump will pin right up where the Meyer pump would normally go and the lights will fit up on the antlers. You would also have to purchase the Meyer mounting ears, (not expensive), and have them welded to your existing plow.
    I have seen several peopel do this. It has been cost effective for the people I know. Good luck. Jake.
  4. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

If you're getting the whole truck, why not throw a rebuilt motor in it and save your 99. Just a thought.

I put a Western off of a 1963 Chevrolet on my 1982 Dodge. I had to completely fabricate the lower part of the mount but it works great. I recycled most of the steel from the chevy mount.
    A little paint and you could never tell.
    If you dont buy it maybe I'm interested.
    Mark K
  5. Totallawn

Totallawn Junior Member
    from Tulsa

What about my truck...will I need to do anything to the suspension?
  6. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

search feature

Check out the search feature, there have been lots of posts about beefing the front ends up. Try keywords like f350, suspension, ect....
    Should bring up a lot of good quality reading.

I put Monroe Muscle's load boosters on the front of my truck. Timbren also makes an excellent product to beef up the front end.

I'm sure there will be more ideas posted in this thread to help you out.

Good luck,
    Mark K
  7. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Most likely that plow is on a SRW pick-up, and you have a duelly.

My suggestion is either fix the truck it is on, or walk away.

Being the year's it is, it most likey is a cable controled behind the bumper western.

Costly and expensive to buy parts for, and being the area you are in, they might cost even more.

I have seen a few used plows for sale in the used forum on here, but they want almost what I can get them brand new, installed, and tax for for their "USED" plows with no traveling.

I'll make a few calls around here and see if I can come up with a good used 8.5 pow that will fit your truck.

BTW a 7.6 plow is to small for your tuck.