1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used vbox spreader question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ss502gmc, Feb 28, 2014.

1. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Looking to purchase a used v box spreader and just wondering what to watch out for before purchasing. A lot say they need chains and bearings. I'm looking at a stainless steel one but if I find a steel one for cheap enough I may go that route. I prefer Fisher as the parts are easily accessible around here.

2. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Most expensive parts would be the engine, gearbox and main drag chain. Most difficult repair would be the bearings back by the gearbox and replacing the gearbox. Make sure the bearings are in good shape.

3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Get a electric one . You won"t be sorry. I have both. One just turn the dial. The other I screw with constantly.

4. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Do the electric ones have a clutch at all or are they direct drive? How much of a draw does it put on the charging system? I currently run my tailgate spreader off a deep cycle battery with a charging wire to it to prevent any wear on the system. What if the material freezes up in the hopper at all? Just concerns I've come up with the past couple days

5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure about other brands. Air flo ones have one motor for the spinner and one for the conveyor chain. Each motor has its own control. They are variable speed. Setting are from 1-10 you just spin the dial. When you first turn it on it runs at full speed no matter what setting its on for a maybe 5 seconds then winds down to whatever its set on.That keeps it from binding up. When I first put it in I added an extra bat to the truck because I was scared of not having enough juice. Then two years ago I moved it to the other truck that only has a single bat and have had no issues. Its not like you run the thing all night . My Meyer sander has more power but the airflow has more control so you waste less. When you turn up the Meyer everything spins faster. With the airflow you can turn up the spinner and not the conveyor if you want. Plus all the chains except the conveyor are stainless

6. freakykiser

freakykiser Junior Member

We bought a used fisher polycaster about 2 months ago. Its an electric spreader with seperate motors for spinner and chain. I havent had any issues with so far and I have ran about 15 -20 tons through it since we got it. Much Much nicer than loading pia bags at every stop and it easier to control the output plus bulk salt is a lot cheaper. Def recommend electric over gas imo

7. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a steel one for sale with a brand new engine this season.. $995... (Spent $450 on the engine)
    Bearings and chains in good condition... Parts are every ware, Tractor supply stores

I dropped $23k on 4 new spreaders this season.. This one needs to go

8. Don Rauch

Don Rauch Junior Member

I purchased this year a All electric Airflo poly hopper and all stainless motor housing.Dual motors i put 2 ton in it everytime .I have spread 44 ton so far .Been good clean it regrease bearings waiting for this next big snow ice in STL tonite .

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

MOST bearings are pillow block style or similar industrial type bearings available at any industrial supplier (I use Canadian Bearing, for example), Mill Supply, TSC, Princess Auto, probably even Northern Tool etc. Chains and sprockets are too. The drag chain is a different animal, have to be made or purchased for your specific machine and can be quite spendy!!! They are also the most likely to be rotted/broken, especially of the owner isn't big on lots of oil spraying!!!

Having done an electric conversion on my Flink, I would never, ever spend a dime to put an engine back on a spreader if I didn't have to.

If I was buying one that needed repairs, I'd look for a mint stainless one with a bad engine, buy it cheap, and swap an electric motor on to it!! (I bought mine for $1k US and it needed a drag chain, which I found on clearance on ebay for $300, I removed the low-houred 10.5hp Briggs and stuck it on the shelf where it still sits untouched since, and replaced it with a 3/4hp Leeson motor... I prob had $1850 in it by the time I was done but it works great and has been very reliable)

10. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

I have a salt dogg for sale it is in the used item section take a look at it.
    SNOWANDICEMAN