1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used truck with or without a plow???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kolkie05, Aug 21, 2009.

1. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

Guy's,

I'm looking to add another used truck before winter. Do you feel it's better to buy a truck without a plow and throw one on since there has been less abuse on it. Or should I just grab a truck that already has a plow on it?

Not sure if there is a advantage to buing a truck that hasn't been used just for plowing.

Thanks.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

There are a lot of plow operators that beat on their truck pretty hard. Even with good maintenance it could still be near the end of it's life. I would look for a truck that hasn't been plowed before.

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't consider a used plow truck unless you are in a pinch or it is a hell of a deal.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't buy a used truck with a plow on it unless it was a realy good deal or I know the person and I know that they didn't beat on it.

5. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

Thanks guys!

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Buying a used plow truck is usually higher priced then buy a truck and then a plow.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you basing this on a used plow?

8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I've bought a LOT of used plow trucks and haven't ever had serious trouble. I also find that it's cheaper the buy a truck that's already setup unless you have time to find the right plow/mount deals and then it's still a crapshoot. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the others on here. I'm sure a lot of the trucks have been beat on, but again, I've never really had a problem. Good luck.

9. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Yah he must be because if hes basing it on a new plow Im buying from that guy :p

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

yes...the OP was talking about used to begin with.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm with you. Take the truck for a ride and you'll get a feel for it. I'd prefer to buy one setup. Saves a lot of headache and/or $$ trying to get it setup.

12. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

In my experience you can save thousands if you buy trucks with plows on them. If you buy a used truck without a plow for say $5000 then you have to buy a new plow for another $5000. You can usally find a $5000 truck setup with plow already for $6000.

If you have the cash to spend though I would buy a used truck and new plow.