1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

used truck/plow question?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I might be looking for a truck here shortly and I was looking around and i have seen some great deals almost too good to be true.

Here is my question, if the truck is in good shape body wise and frame wise, would it be a good idea to buy a truck with a plow for say $5000 and have it looked over and replace anything and everything it needs.

Or take a chance and buy something with a plow that is a little newer and at my max price limit.

Ex I have seen a 96 dodge ram 2500 with the v-10 and a 7 1/2ft fisher for $5000 obo

Or I could try to find something 2000 or newer with a plow and be closer to my $10-12,000 price range

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Personally, I would never buy a truck with a plow. I would look for a great truck with a plow or tow package and then get the plow separate.

This way you have more options to work with and can get the kind of plow you want, not just what comes with the truck.

Good luck with your search.
  3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Why would you want a truck with a v-10 in it with a 7.5' plow on it?
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think that's his first choice for a truck, just listing it as an example. I'm guessing he's just getting into the plowing game, and doesn't realize that's a very odd combination. Nothing wrong with, especially for a couple of driveways. Just odd. Maybe the guy had an ext cab and wanted to keep weight down as much as possible.

To help answer your question ----

It's a tough decision. The thing is with buying a used plow to put on a truck, is that they end up costing alot more than you expect, especially if you hire someone to put it on. My personal first choice for commercial plowing would be a used truck, with a new (or almost new) plow. But the new plow is going to eat up about half your budget, really limiting your truck options. I would think for 8-10G you could get a decent truck with a plow on it.

I'm sure there's just as many trucks that have never plowed and had the snot beat out of them, as there are trucks with plows on them and are fine. So you need to look around, and really look the truck over. And look at the blade. If the base angle/cutting edge looks like new, the plow paint is solid, and the truck is well cared for, it should be fine. What ever way you go, leave yourself some money in reserve. You will want to get all your fluids changed, a complete tuneup, and have a little "just in case" money.
  5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Throw some wings on it and be ~9'-9.5' would be perfect.
  6. WIPensFan

You won't be able to afford wings, you'll spend all your money gasing that monster!
  7. cretebaby

I bet it is no worse if not better than any of the truck in your sig.
  8. WIPensFan

Prove it and print the numbers smart guy!
  9. cretebaby

Sorry I don't have the numbers for you but I have had to fuel all of them in question.
  10. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Buy a used truck that's already setup. Drive it, look it over, get a feel for it and if it all seems good, buy it and push snow around with it. I've used some serious POS trucks that still moved snow reliably all winter.