1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

used trailer prices?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WHITE=GREEN, Jan 16, 2002.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

im looking at purchasing a used enclosed cargo trailer (7x14 tandem axle) for our sidewalk crew to haul around a quad, walk behind spreaders, blowers, bagged salt, etc. to do sidewalks with. were presently using a 6x12 (a bit to small) utility trailer and it works great, but, im thinking that with an enclosed trailer i could leave everything in it, out of the weather, and be ready for the next storm. my question is, is there a website or anywhere i can find out the value of a used trailer? ive searched high and low and found nothing to speak of.
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Find out what a new one is and then compare apples to apples and see if what they are asking is fair or not. In our area trailers hold their value and I personally will buy new versus used because of it. In fact, I had a 6x12 enclosed which I payed $2900 for new, sold it three years later for $2600. That's pretty good to me, being the seller, it only cost me $100 a year to own.
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

A few years ago, I did some repairs on a used enclosed trailer a friend of a friend bought I think it was a 16' or 18' Wells Cargo. Wells Cargo makes a good trailer IMO. I was supposed to rewire all the lights, and do a little welding. It turned into a 4 day job. The lights were single wire, that ground using the mounting screws. No wonder they didn't work being mounted on fiberglass. Under the floor boards, all the supports from the wheel well to the A frame were cracked on both sides. The initial complaint was a "squeaking underneath the trailer". I greased the leaf spring bushings, no help. Then I noticed how much the trailer seemed to wobble when backing up my driveway. Me underneath using a droplight and 2 guys rocking the trailer reaveled all the busted welds. There were also busted welds in the rear near the tailgate.
    These are pieces of angle iron, about 12" long. They actually hold the weight of the enclosure, and transfer the load to the main frame of the trailer. The only thing I can think of, is that the previous owner piled fertilizer and lime all the way up in the front of the trailer. He had a work bench up there, so it was unlikely any equipment heavy enough to do the damage was transported that far up in the trailer.

Anyway, my point is use a real powerful flashlight and a friend when you go look at trailers. Have your buddy rock the trailer, and you look at the welds real close. All the overhead welding laying flat on your back is not something to look forward to.... but if it can get you a better price, that's your decision.