1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

used snowplows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fordman, Nov 1, 2001.

1. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Is it worth it to buy a used snowplow or should I just spend the liittle bit extra to buy new ?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Short answer - buy new. Unless you want someone else's troubles. Actually, we just recently had this discussion. It seems there is actually some good deals out there but I'd still recommend new.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

if you can buy new . i laways do. but if your handy you could
    buy used. but you will have to go threw it. and always keep
    extra parts around.what ever you do stay away from meyer
    snowplows .i would not want one even for free. good luck.
  4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

This depends on asking price, overall condition of the plow and related components (in particular the powerpack/controls) and, as has been mentioned, how much work you are willing/able to do in the way of your own repairs.

If well-kept (or barely used) a used plow can work out well for you. However, it IS definitely a csae of "buyer beware" and not jumping at the first one you see for sale.

In my own case, used worked out fine. I weld for a living, so that end of things was no problem and the asking price was very reasonable. For others, new is the best way to go.
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We look for used plows all the time, easy money to be made buying and selling. We just looked at a barely used 8' hd meyer balde for 300.00. It is in very nice shape, and will make a good back up for one of the trucks. Now we just have to see if we have the high bid. If I had heard about it a week earlier it would have been ours, but it left the FD and went to town auction.
    But when we buy for our own trucks, if it is a v plow we go new, not alot of v plows in the used market. However used plows are alot cheaper, and if happy homeowner plowed with it, good chance its in nice shape.
  6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I also watch for used 9' blades. You can use them as blades on tractors, compact loaders, ect. Skidsteers are the only thing you want the skidsteer brand plow for. Only because much more weight is put on the plow with a skid steer, then with a truck.

7. ddm

ddm Member

I would go new. But, not to say used plows can not be found. My theory is if it's one of your main units, (work wise) and plowing is a major part of you living I don't think it would be wise to go with anything but new. If you do this more on the side and for some extra cash; and some occasional down time would not make or brake for you then used may be the route to go.
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I really dont see the big deal about buying used. I have plows that are 10yrs old and they plow just as good as new ones.
    I also have a truck and plow that is 4 yrs old, guess I should scrap it, and get a new one for it. I mean its been used for 3 seasons, must be junk.
    Get real people, used plows are great, same plow for 1/2 the price. If you are buying a new truck, then a new plow is a good idea, cuase you can finance the plow right in with the truck. But if you have a truck that is payed for, then a good used unit is a good bet.
    It is pretty easy to spot a beat or abused unit, if it looks like it is decent shape, then go for it. The main problem I see is people with most used plows want with in 500-800.00 of a new unit, and at that cost I would get the new one with a warranty.
  9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I agree with Dino. Except for the pump most of the plow is just steel. A used plow, if inspected should not have any surprises. Normal items we replace are hoses and couplers not much else can go wrong. I think used is a good bet if a proce break can be found.
  10. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

You'd be surprised how many 1 or 2 year old plows are out there that have only plowed a couple of times.... people will buy truck with plows on them and then not have time to plow so they sell them... usually at about half price... any of them would be a great bargain.