1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

used sno-way plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mgseries, Jul 12, 2009.

1. mgseries

mgseries Junior Member

I purchased a used sno-waw plow this year. I had it installed by a local sno-way dealer, Central Vermont Truck Repair. When I tried it, nothing worked. Apparently the dealer never checked the wire harness. How can I test the harness to see if that or the controller needs repair?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take it back to the dealer, let them fix it.
    how did you get it home?

do you have wired or wireless controls
    if wired; are all the connections correct?
    if wiredless; have you replaced the batteries?
    Does the green light on the controller light up?
    If so does it flash when you give it a command?

Do you have a multi meter or test light? If so,
    Do you have 12 volts at the 12 volt motor soliniod?
    do you have a good ground?

3. mgseries

mgseries Junior Member

The dealer did not have the plow when he installed the wire harness and the push plates.
    It is wired, Nothing lights up. I have not made any further checks.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What model plow? So you have the power harness, both headlight plugs and the control harness attached to the truck and the control attached in the cab and the plow attached to the truck? Or are you attaching the control directly to the plow and just hooking up the power harness?

5. mgseries

mgseries Junior Member

It is a 39D, everything but the headlight harness is connected. I had to have the headlight harness removed because my high beam lights on the truck stopped working. If I connect the power, can I hook the control to the plow without going through the truck harness? At least I would know if the control was ok.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

yes. You can hook directly to the plow. It's very common to have that mount break on the back side. Controllers also go bad. I don't know the wiring but, I'm sure your second step will be to jumper a few wires to check for life in the pump.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a test light to see where you have power.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sure you can, then see if you get as green light, if you do it, does it flicker? Then check the fuses on the pump, and be sure the installer has attached to a good 12 volt and ground. Directly to the battery is best.