1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used, Rebuilt, Re-Man, Or just say the heck with the truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by White Gardens, Jan 13, 2015.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Our 05' F-150 , 190,000 miles, lost reverse during our last storm.

Trying to weigh my options.

Truck has been good to us overall, still has good power and is a great light duty rig.

I've done a fair amount of general repairs to the truck and it could potentially last a good amount of time after the tranny fix.

Worst case scenario, I replace the whole truck with a bit bigger one.

Any thoughts?

2. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Those trucks are really common. Betting you can find a good used trans cheap and throw it in for under $2500 if not less. If a trucks been solid, might as well keep it if you think you can get a lot more life out of it without dumping money into it.

3. JDosch

JDosch Senior Member
    from Joliet

Have the trans rebuilt, so you will have no worries, and keep on going.

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Just drop it off at the trans shop. Comes with a guarantee

5. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

This. All day.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

50 bucks and will pick up......

7. White Gardens

Pfffft.....:sleeping:

8. White Gardens

Leaning that direction, lowest price with a stock rebuild, $1800.00, 2600.00 stage 2 rebuild, all labor included with the swap out.

Waiting on a call from a small, but reputable shop to see what his prices are.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  9. White Gardens

You always dump money into used trucks, the thing that sucks is that it far outweighs buying a newer truck.....

10. White Gardens

Just got a message from my Brother-In-Law in Champaign. Said I could use his lift to swap out the transmission if I want.

Might be able to swing the extra money for a stage 2 tranny.

It's a 1 hour drive, but as long as I don't need reverse, I'm good to go.Thumbs Up

11. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

That's when you need to know where the line is between some repairs and a money pit. Went round and round in another thread over this with someone who couldn't comprehend this.

If the truck hasn't cost you a lot of money other than basic stuff, then throw in a trans.

12. White Gardens

Repairs will always, well at least 90% always cheaper than buying an upgrade. In our case, I can do the majority of the work myself, so that saves even more money on repairs.

With the 5 different trucks I've owned in the past 9 years, I still feel about 30k ahead over buying two New, or gently used trucks.

13. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm the same way. I can fix the stuff that goes wrong on a older powerstroke (05), pretty cheap compared to new. When a new rig is $60k, that's a lot of repairs to justify new right now. :nod:. I'd basically need to the engine to grenade and trans fall out to make it worth going to new, haha.

14. White Gardens

And the front and rear axle to explode at the same time.....

I can't justify spending 20k+ on a pu truck unless it's a beast. (purchased an 03' kodiak with plow, central hydraulics, dump bed, and spreader this year for 29k). Otherwise, standard trucks are a waste of money for the abuse we put them through.

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

the shop has all the right tools, and tricks, you time is worth money and shop time is deductable on taxes

16. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Good thing there's no real front axle on that F150 ;)

Time to learn how to rebuild a 4R70E I say...

Did the wifes BMXA in the honda this spring... ended up being $400 in parts for a rebuild, tq converter, some new sensors, and motor mounts.

We've gone through a few Turbo 400's for under $500 too...

17. billythekid

billythekid Junior Member

After having to replace my first transmission, an abused 4L60E with 145k, I suggest getting it rebuilt. I'm guessing by this point, 190k that truck doesn't owe you a dime.

18. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Had my 4R70W rebuilt in my T-bird after many drag passes. Took a ton more abuse afterwards including more nitrous. Did the J-mod in the one in my Mark VIII and also handled it well.

OP- It's a 4R80W in that, right? I don't recall what the half tons got those years. Not killer to beef it up.

19. White Gardens

It's a 4r70W, but there is a difference between the mustangs and F-150+4wd.

There was two trans for that year, and I'm wondering if the 80 was the second trans. My truck, an 05', was actually built in 04'.

20. White Gardens

Right now, in between snow storms, I've got all the time in the world. In the summer, not so much and I definitively would have a shop do it.

Yep.