1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Used plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TSG, Nov 17, 2001.

1. TSG

TSG Member

I'd like to jump into the biz.. I'd like to keep my costs down cause it would be my first year and snowfall is not exactly abundant around here..

Are used plows hard to find? Where would I look? The local newspaper has nothing...

It would be for a '95 Dodge 1500

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Another place to look is the Truck Trader (at least that's what it is called up here) or E-bay. If you haven't already done so, you may want to try placing a "wanted" ad in the local paper or, if you have one in your area, one of those weekly "bargain news" publications.

If snow isn't that abundant in your area, I'd imagine the used plow selection may be a bit limited but keep looking - you're not THAT far from snow country!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

TSG - you want to check with some place that does plow installs on a regular basis. I have a '90 that I had a 7.5' Fisher on last year. It took about 6 hours for the dealer to install. Something about the way the frame was made that year. It took a lot of modification. Anyway that's what they told me after they loaned me a car to go home and come back. Seems they lost money on my install cause they charge a set price. Some they make money - others they lose. If I had taken in used plow and paid an hourly rate, it would have been about $400. Unless you're like some on here and do your own install.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You ought to be seeing plows in your local classifieds about now. Expect to pay about $ 1500 for anything decent. You can also check salvage yards, I've often seen trucks come in with plows on them. Just stay away from one that's taken a front hit.

5. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

As with anything used take a good close look at it. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined then you should have an idea of used as opposed to abused items that will show themselves through visual inspection. On the other hand there can always be gremlins lurking in the inner workings of any unit. I you can see that everything works before you purchase the unit it would of course be better.

Bruce

6. mickman

mickman Senior Member

TSG'
    I'M FROM FREDERICK, MD. ITS HARD TO FIND A DECENT PLOW USED. THE PLACE I GO FOR PLOWS & RECOMMEND TO OTHERS IS
    BALT/ WASH TRUCK EQUIPT. MT. AIRY [ 301-831-7020 ]
    BEST PRICE & INSTALL WITHIN DAY & 1/2 . MOST OF CONTRACTORS GO W/ MEYER 7.5' COST INSTALLED ABOUT $ 3100
    IF YOU BUY A USED PLOW, YOU'LL PAY ABOUT 1/2 OR MORE.
    BETTER TO GO W/ NEW FOR RELIABILITY!!! YOU SHOULD BE AT LEAST ABLE TO PAY FOR IT 1st SEASON. LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DID.
    PS: DON'T FORGET SALT SPREADER! [ THAT'S WHERE THE COIN IS !!]

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Hi mickman - welcome to Plowsite. Good point on it being hard to find a decent plow used - I think that in your area, that's a result of not as many plows being sold new in the first place. Around here, it seems like every other pickup has a blade on it - 'course, I think we see a bit more snow each winter too!

Could I ask you to please refrain from posting in all-capital letters? It's harder to read posts when they are in all-caps, also capital letters are the keyboard way of YELLING! :eek:

Thanks,

8. TSG

TSG Member

Thanks all!

mickman,

I have a Meyers dealer within 5 minutes of me... Thanks