1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

used plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by AndyTblc, Jan 3, 2009.

1. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I'm looking at a few plows for my truck, as my tractor that I use is out of commission. I have found a few on craigslist, here is one I went and looked at today. It's about 10 years old I think the guy said, it's a 7'6 BOSS. Everything is the same as my truck, he said he can get the bracket taken off, but I'm worried that it will be to heavy for my truck even though he used it on a half ton and had the torsion bars cranked all the way, and I'm also worried about the botton of the plow were it's rusted. He said I can have everything for $800, every thing works.

plowmaybe (1).jpg

plowmaybe (2).jpg

plowmaybe (3).jpg

plowmaybe (4).jpg
  2. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

plowmaybe (5).jpg

plowmaybe (6).jpg

plowmaybe (7).jpg

plowmaybe (8).jpg
  3. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

4. If your plowing lots I'd probably walk on that blade. I'm not steel expert but one thing I was always told when shopping for a used plow is if there is holes in the blade keep walking. I disagree with that to a point. A hole you can patch up but that hole bottom of the blade seems eaten up. Its going to take some fabricating and welding to fix that. I wouldn't plow with it like that thats for sure!
  5. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

The owner said they could put a new body on it for $450 or so, but I just needed an opinion, for $800 if it was in better shape I would have bought it, but I"m a little Leary about that.
  6. mr.muddmotors

mr.muddmotors Junior Member

if you're a good welder and have the necessary tools/ eqip, you could reface the moldboard yourself. around here a 71/2'x 2' piece of 12 gauge was around 80 bucks or so. not sure what it would cost to have it rolled. but for 1000-1500 you could probalbly find a newer plow in better shape without the hassle.
  7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

can't say but $800 pretty lot for this rusty plow. can you offer his $650?

That plow look overbuilt for GM 1500 but it should be ok if you don't hard on your truck.

Let us know how it work. I know 90's chevy 1500 with meyer plow from my friend's junkyard but need find how much he want for.

Please get pic when you install [​IMG]
  8. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I've e-mailed a few other people for a plow, I'm just not sure about this plow, because I do driveways and I will have 1 or 2 medium sized parking lots to do for a guy when he goes away on vacation.
    I'm not sure I want a meyers, I haven't herd anything to great about them. But let me know about that meyers if he wants a whole lot, and if it's reasonable, give me some pictures.
  9. Milwaukee

try this one http://www.craigshelper.com/ it will show more plow in different citys

for meyer I do want that truck first. pretty rust bucket but use for plow at storage lot.
  10. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I don't want the truck, my driveway already looks like a used car lot, I just need a plow before the next snow storm, cuz the piston rings went out on my tractor, and I'm sick of fixing it, so I'm looking for a plow, don't want to spend to much.
  11. Milwaukee

What kind engine in John Deer? Kohler 10 hp or 12 hp?

It worth to rebuilt it. I have case 222 that lost compressor and found that it cause by carb's butterfly's bushing was soppy cause engine run too lean that how it happened.

Cost me $300 to rebuilt it.

Well I agree used car lot is embarrassed but to me I just ignore and park Rusty truck.

That chevy 1500 I been keep my eye on it because I have meyer plow for that truck. Try get price from friend.
  12. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

It's a 14hp Kohler, we put oil down the spark plug hole, and put the compression gauge on it and turned it over and the compression went up, and that means that the rings are bad, so my neighbor is going to put new rings in it for me, he said it will only cost me $150, and that engine was brand new in 2001.
  13. If you blew piston rings you can't just change the rings. There is probably damage to the cylinder walls which will require honing. After you hone the cylinder walls you can then change out the piston rings. The exception to this is if you did too much damage to the walls then you need to change the pistons to a larger piston after boring the walls out. If there are scores in the walls and you just change the rings you'll get blowby (Fuel mixture escaping through the scores past the rings).

Good luck with the repair....
  14. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

yeah he said something about honing, but I already have it lined up for getting it repaired
  15. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

That size plow would be fine on your truck. I think i would call B&B to get a price on a mold board, think you will find its more than 450. The mold board might make it thorugh the season and it might not. Everything minus the rusted out board is worth 800 though.
  16. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Thats where he got it brand new 10 years ago from B&B, and he said it was between 400-500.
    I'm not worried about the tranny as I am the front end parts, cuz he said it weighs 800 lbs, but he said he based that off of his new plow which is an 8 foot plow, so I think it's a little less.
    He also said that he has used it to plow with this winter, he just got a new work truck with plow.
  17. Milwaukee

Hard to say but that new moldboard

Let us know if you have bought this with new moldboard.
  18. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I just talked to the guy, and when he called B&B today he said that what the price was. But he just e-mailed me asking what I want to do, and he said he could have it off the truck, the mount and wires probly monday, and it looks like we have a chance of snow Wednesday. I just told him to give me a day or 2 to let him know.
  19. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

I'd offer 600 and tell him thats because of the rusted plow board . Reskin the bottom 8 or so inches , put the moldboard back on to get up and running till summer to replace the whole skin and to repaint after rust preventer.
  20. huss691981

huss691981 Member